Herbalife profit beats estimates; raises full year forecast
February 20, 2013 9:14 AM EST
Weight-loss and vitamin company Herbalife Ltd
Herbalife, which also sells energy, sports & fitness and personal care products, now expects earnings of $4.45 (2.8 pounds) to $4.65 per share for the year, up from its prior view of $4.02 to $4.05 per share.
Analysts on average were expecting earnings of $4.64 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The company's stock has become the site of a battle royale between some of the hedge fund industry's biggest players, including Pershing Square Capital's William Ackman and Icahn Enterprises'
Activist investor Ackman alleged in December that the company was a "pyramid scheme" and said he was shorting the stock.
However, Icahn and hedge fund manager Daniel Loeb revealed long positions in the stock. Loeb said the stock could rise as much as $68.
The company said last month it expected a temporary bump in expenses due to its fight with Ackman.
The company's fourth-quarter income rose to $117.8 million, or $1.05 per share, from $105.4 million, or 86 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue rose about 20 percent to $1.06 billion.
Analysts had expected earnings of $1.03 per share on revenue of $1.05 billion.
Herbalife shares closed at $39.74 on the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday.
(Reporting by Arpita Mukherjee in Bangalore; Editing by Don Sebastian)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones