Google Closes Above $800 First Time Since 2004 IPO
By David Zielenziger | February 20, 2013 8:17 AM EST
For the first time since its 2004 initial public offering, shares of Google Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) closed above $800, valuing the search engine and media company at nearly $266 billion. They closed at $805.85, up $13.96 after touching $806.68 earlier Tuesday.
The performance of the Mountain View, Calif., has been slow, especially since the shares first topped $700 in October 2007, then dipped and only exceeded $700 for the second time last Sept. 7, when they closed at $706.15.
On Sept. 21, shares of rival Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL), set their record high of $705.05, before starting their fall to as low as $435. They closed at $459.99, down 17 cents.
“For me, it’s all about Android,” said Kevin Landis, an investment manager with Firsthand Funds, which manages several technology mutual funds, explained about Google'e record.
Analysts at Gartner (NYSE:IT), a leading technology market research firm, estimated the Android OS for mobile phones has nearly 70 percent of the global market, compared with about 20 percent for Apple’s iOS. Landis said he expects Google to make a lot of money from Android apps and advertising over time.
Google also reported higher-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings and revenue on Jan. 22, since when the shares have gained more than 14 percent. CEO Larry Page said the company would keep monetizing new assets from mobile search.
Few other companies trade above $800.
Best known is Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK/A), the vehicle of tycoon Warren E. Buffett, which closed at $152,300 Tuesday. Another is Seaboard Corp. (NYSEAMEX:SEB, an agribusiness holding company, whose shares closed at $2,850, yp $19.18. Shares of LICT Corp.(PINK:LICT), a communications provider, closed at $2,215, down $75.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- US Open Recap: Eugenie Bouchard Goes Down To Ekaterina Makarova, Poor Weather Conditions
- Kate Upton Determined To Take Down The Hacker Behind Celebrities’ Nude Photo Leak
- Ukraine 'Great War' Has Arrived; Australia Mulls More Sanctions Against Russia
- Bracing for ‘Great War’ Against Russia: NATO to Create 5,000-Strong High-Readiness Force; Baltic States Getting Anxious They Might be Next Target
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying