Gwyneth Paltrow: Less Acting, More Goop
February 20, 2013 7:46 AM EST
Gwyneth Paltrow has been appearing in films less and less these day, and it may be due to her transition from actress to mogul.
A source tells US Weekly that the Oscar-winning star has “lost her passion for movies” and would like to devote more time to her side projects.
The mother of two currently runs the lifestyle site Goop, taking a cue from other artists, like Jessica Simpson, who have successfully parlayed their fame into lucrative businesses.
"She admires Jessica's empire,” the source claims, "She wants to make a killing."
Despite the reports, Paltrow’s rep insists the actress won’t forgo onscreen ventures just yet.
"She won't quit acting. Her plan is to do one, maybe two supporting parts a year,” the 40-year-old’s rep told the site.
Gwyneth started Goop in 2008. The weekly online publication provides readers with access to recipes, health tips, as well as fashion and cultural news. Thought it has gained quite a following, the site is frequently mocked for shilling products only A-list celebrities can afford, and for Paltrow's way of coming across as a bit smug and self-satisfied --- and with little recognition of how much her privelged status plays into her ability to make certain lifestyle choices.
It’s easy to understand why Paltrow would want to follow in Simpson's entrepreneurial footsteps. According to Business Insider, the singer’s fashion company The Jessica Simpson Collection grossed $1 billion in 2011.
A variety of other female celebs have started successful side businesses.
In 2012, Jessica Alba founded The Honest Company, which develops non-toxic baby products at affordable prices. Pando Daily reports that the company earned $27 million from investors last year.
Actress Elizabeth Hurley teamed with UK department store Harrods in 2009 to launch a line of organic foods. According to the Atlantic Wire, the products are produced on her farm in Gloucestershire, England.
In recent years, Paltrow has starred in few films, including the disappointing “Country Strong” and the massively successful “Iron Man 2.” She had small roles in the drama “Contagion” and the last year’s blockbuster “The Avengers.”
In 2010 and 2011, she guest starred on the FOX series “Glee” as a Spanish teacher with a penchant for Rihanna tunes.
The star will soon be seen in “Iron Man 3” as well as the Pablo Picasso biopic “33 Días,” opposite Antonio Banderas.
Paltrow, who has been married to Coldplay frontman Chris Martin for almost a decade, told In-Style UK in December that she now seeks smaller roles in films.
“I don't have the same movie career that I used to have where I'd star in movies three times a year," she said. "I haven't even starred in movies since I've had my kids. I just look for interesting kind of supporting, biggish, supporting parts and try to do one a year and that's my limit.”
In addition to her other side projects, the actress released the cookbook, “My Father’s Daughter” in 2011.
She is set to debut her second cookbook “It’s All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great,” this April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2