Gold Holds $1,600 as Currency Wars and Demand Remain in Focus
By Eric McWhinnie | February 20, 2013 7:21 AM EST
On Tuesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, fell $5.30 to settle at $1,601.10 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March dropped 43 cents to close at $29.42. It was the lowest close for gold in more than six months.
Both precious metals traded in the red, despite more chatter of currency wars and a recent report on global gold demand. Central banks around the world have injected trillions of dollars into the financial system over the past few years, but the finance minsters and central bankers attending the Group of 20 nations meeting in Moscow mostly ignored the monetary actions as an act of currency war.
In a statement released over the weekend, the G-20 members simply pledged to “refrain from competitive devaluation” and pursue monetary policies to achieve “domestic price stability.”
Meanwhile, total gold demand in the fourth quarter reached 1,195.9 tonnes, the highest fourth quarter total on record and the best quarterly haul behind the third quarter of 2011, according to the latest report from the World Gold Council. Total demand for the entire year slipped 4 percent to 4,405.5 tonnes, but with a value of $236.4 billion, it was an all-time record in dollar terms. In the bigger picture, annual gold demand was 15 percent higher than the average for the previous five years.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) declined 0.25 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.25 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) fell 0.80 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) declined 2.10 percent and 1.35 percent, respectively.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6