Szczesny: We’re Not Afraid of Bayern
By Adrian Back | February 20, 2013 5:38 AM EST
Wojciech Szczesny says that Arsenal are not afraid of facing Bayern Munich and sees no reason why they should be classed as the favourites to make it through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Arsenal come into the last-16 tie on the back of a 1-0 loss to Blackburn in the FA Cup, while Bayern have gone 18 games undefeated in all competitions and have not even conceded a goal in five games since the winter break.
They are 15 points clear of Borussia Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga and are looking to make their second consecutive Champions League final after losing on penalties to Chelsea last year.
While Bayern have looked near unstoppable in the league, Arsenal currently find themselves battling to even finish in the top four and see the Champions League as their last opportunity to win any silverware this season.
The bookmakers have made Bayern heavy favourites to advance to the next round but Szczesny has advised against anyone to lumping money on the German giants.
"I don't know why they should be favourites," the Arsenal keeper told the Evening Standard. "I wouldn't bet money on this one.
"I really wanted to avoid Barcelona. I would take any other team because I believe Barca are the best in the world. You want to avoid them because your chances are very small of beating them. Bayern is a very tough draw but it is a very exciting one.
"Bayern are flying in the Bundesliga. They have fantastic individual players like [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery and [Manuel] Neuer in goal. They are very strong but we won't be scared."
The Poland international will have some job on his hands to stop Bayern from scoring as they have been prolific in front of goal this season. In just 22 league games they have scored 57 goals at an average of 2.59 per game.
Arsenal's attackers will also have to be in superb form as Bayern's defence has been equally impressive, conceding an average of just 0.32 goals per game in the league this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate