Szczesny: We’re Not Afraid of Bayern
By Adrian Back | February 20, 2013 5:38 AM EST
Wojciech Szczesny says that Arsenal are not afraid of facing Bayern Munich and sees no reason why they should be classed as the favourites to make it through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Arsenal come into the last-16 tie on the back of a 1-0 loss to Blackburn in the FA Cup, while Bayern have gone 18 games undefeated in all competitions and have not even conceded a goal in five games since the winter break.
They are 15 points clear of Borussia Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga and are looking to make their second consecutive Champions League final after losing on penalties to Chelsea last year.
While Bayern have looked near unstoppable in the league, Arsenal currently find themselves battling to even finish in the top four and see the Champions League as their last opportunity to win any silverware this season.
The bookmakers have made Bayern heavy favourites to advance to the next round but Szczesny has advised against anyone to lumping money on the German giants.
"I don't know why they should be favourites," the Arsenal keeper told the Evening Standard. "I wouldn't bet money on this one.
"I really wanted to avoid Barcelona. I would take any other team because I believe Barca are the best in the world. You want to avoid them because your chances are very small of beating them. Bayern is a very tough draw but it is a very exciting one.
"Bayern are flying in the Bundesliga. They have fantastic individual players like [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery and [Manuel] Neuer in goal. They are very strong but we won't be scared."
The Poland international will have some job on his hands to stop Bayern from scoring as they have been prolific in front of goal this season. In just 22 league games they have scored 57 goals at an average of 2.59 per game.
Arsenal's attackers will also have to be in superb form as Bayern's defence has been equally impressive, conceding an average of just 0.32 goals per game in the league this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected