Szczesny: We’re Not Afraid of Bayern
By Adrian Back | February 20, 2013 5:38 AM EST
Wojciech Szczesny says that Arsenal are not afraid of facing Bayern Munich and sees no reason why they should be classed as the favourites to make it through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Arsenal come into the last-16 tie on the back of a 1-0 loss to Blackburn in the FA Cup, while Bayern have gone 18 games undefeated in all competitions and have not even conceded a goal in five games since the winter break.
They are 15 points clear of Borussia Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga and are looking to make their second consecutive Champions League final after losing on penalties to Chelsea last year.
While Bayern have looked near unstoppable in the league, Arsenal currently find themselves battling to even finish in the top four and see the Champions League as their last opportunity to win any silverware this season.
The bookmakers have made Bayern heavy favourites to advance to the next round but Szczesny has advised against anyone to lumping money on the German giants.
"I don't know why they should be favourites," the Arsenal keeper told the Evening Standard. "I wouldn't bet money on this one.
"I really wanted to avoid Barcelona. I would take any other team because I believe Barca are the best in the world. You want to avoid them because your chances are very small of beating them. Bayern is a very tough draw but it is a very exciting one.
"Bayern are flying in the Bundesliga. They have fantastic individual players like [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery and [Manuel] Neuer in goal. They are very strong but we won't be scared."
The Poland international will have some job on his hands to stop Bayern from scoring as they have been prolific in front of goal this season. In just 22 league games they have scored 57 goals at an average of 2.59 per game.
Arsenal's attackers will also have to be in superb form as Bayern's defence has been equally impressive, conceding an average of just 0.32 goals per game in the league this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]