Szczesny: We’re Not Afraid of Bayern
By Adrian Back | February 20, 2013 5:38 AM EST
Wojciech Szczesny says that Arsenal are not afraid of facing Bayern Munich and sees no reason why they should be classed as the favourites to make it through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Arsenal come into the last-16 tie on the back of a 1-0 loss to Blackburn in the FA Cup, while Bayern have gone 18 games undefeated in all competitions and have not even conceded a goal in five games since the winter break.
They are 15 points clear of Borussia Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga and are looking to make their second consecutive Champions League final after losing on penalties to Chelsea last year.
While Bayern have looked near unstoppable in the league, Arsenal currently find themselves battling to even finish in the top four and see the Champions League as their last opportunity to win any silverware this season.
The bookmakers have made Bayern heavy favourites to advance to the next round but Szczesny has advised against anyone to lumping money on the German giants.
"I don't know why they should be favourites," the Arsenal keeper told the Evening Standard. "I wouldn't bet money on this one.
"I really wanted to avoid Barcelona. I would take any other team because I believe Barca are the best in the world. You want to avoid them because your chances are very small of beating them. Bayern is a very tough draw but it is a very exciting one.
"Bayern are flying in the Bundesliga. They have fantastic individual players like [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery and [Manuel] Neuer in goal. They are very strong but we won't be scared."
The Poland international will have some job on his hands to stop Bayern from scoring as they have been prolific in front of goal this season. In just 22 league games they have scored 57 goals at an average of 2.59 per game.
Arsenal's attackers will also have to be in superb form as Bayern's defence has been equally impressive, conceding an average of just 0.32 goals per game in the league this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown