Szczesny: We’re Not Afraid of Bayern
By Adrian Back | February 20, 2013 5:38 AM EST
Wojciech Szczesny says that Arsenal are not afraid of facing Bayern Munich and sees no reason why they should be classed as the favourites to make it through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
Arsenal come into the last-16 tie on the back of a 1-0 loss to Blackburn in the FA Cup, while Bayern have gone 18 games undefeated in all competitions and have not even conceded a goal in five games since the winter break.
They are 15 points clear of Borussia Dortmund at the top of the Bundesliga and are looking to make their second consecutive Champions League final after losing on penalties to Chelsea last year.
While Bayern have looked near unstoppable in the league, Arsenal currently find themselves battling to even finish in the top four and see the Champions League as their last opportunity to win any silverware this season.
The bookmakers have made Bayern heavy favourites to advance to the next round but Szczesny has advised against anyone to lumping money on the German giants.
"I don't know why they should be favourites," the Arsenal keeper told the Evening Standard. "I wouldn't bet money on this one.
"I really wanted to avoid Barcelona. I would take any other team because I believe Barca are the best in the world. You want to avoid them because your chances are very small of beating them. Bayern is a very tough draw but it is a very exciting one.
"Bayern are flying in the Bundesliga. They have fantastic individual players like [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery and [Manuel] Neuer in goal. They are very strong but we won't be scared."
The Poland international will have some job on his hands to stop Bayern from scoring as they have been prolific in front of goal this season. In just 22 league games they have scored 57 goals at an average of 2.59 per game.
Arsenal's attackers will also have to be in superb form as Bayern's defence has been equally impressive, conceding an average of just 0.32 goals per game in the league this season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Believes Wilshere's Performance Against City Not Enough For Man Utd Legend Paul Scholes
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date