Apple Hacked by Cyber Criminals who Targeted Facebook
By David Gilbert | February 20, 2013 5:32 AM EST
PCs belonging to Apple were attacked by the same hackers who targeted Facebook, but no data appeared to have been stolen, the company said on Tuesday in an unprecedented admission of a widespread cyber-security breach.
According to a report from Reuters only a handful of PCs belonging to Apple employees were compromised and there was "no evidence that an data left Apple."
Apple, sais it is working with law enforcement to track down the hackers and that it would release a software tool later on Tuesday to protect customers against the malicious software used in the attacks.
Following the Facebook breach, security expert Sean Sullivan from Finnish company F-Secure warned that mobile app developers using Apple PCs where in danger of being hacked:
"There's a Mac threat out there and most Mac users are completely unaware of it. They have a false sense of security,"
Cyber security attacks have been on the rise in recent months. In last week's State of the Union address, US President Barack Obama issued an executive order seeking better protection of the country's critical infrastructure from cyber attacks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness