Apple Hacked by Cyber Criminals who Targeted Facebook
By David Gilbert | February 20, 2013 5:32 AM EST
PCs belonging to Apple were attacked by the same hackers who targeted Facebook, but no data appeared to have been stolen, the company said on Tuesday in an unprecedented admission of a widespread cyber-security breach.
According to a report from Reuters only a handful of PCs belonging to Apple employees were compromised and there was "no evidence that an data left Apple."
Apple, sais it is working with law enforcement to track down the hackers and that it would release a software tool later on Tuesday to protect customers against the malicious software used in the attacks.
Following the Facebook breach, security expert Sean Sullivan from Finnish company F-Secure warned that mobile app developers using Apple PCs where in danger of being hacked:
"There's a Mac threat out there and most Mac users are completely unaware of it. They have a false sense of security,"
Cyber security attacks have been on the rise in recent months. In last week's State of the Union address, US President Barack Obama issued an executive order seeking better protection of the country's critical infrastructure from cyber attacks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports