CV Deluge as 1,700 Apply to Nottingham Costa Coffee for Eight Jobs
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 5:13 AM EST
Desperate jobseekers flooded a Costa Coffee shop with more than 1,700 applications for just eight jobs.
The branch in Nottingham was swamped with CVs from graduates and former employees of doomed former high street giants HMW and Clinton Cards.
In job-starved Nottingham, 3,845 young people aged between 16 and 24 claimed unemployment benefits in the 12 months to November 2012 - 5.6 percent.
The total fell by only 0.6 percent - slower than the national average. A total of 1,565 young people claimed jobless welfare for more than six months.
TUC general secretary Frances O'Grady said the torrent of applications at the coffee shop illustrated how gloomy prospects were for young people.
"These figures show just how desperate people are for any kind of work," she said.
"Ministers claim there are plenty of jobs out there but the reality is that there are far more people chasing those jobs.
"That's why rather than demonising unemployed people as scroungers we need to get the economy growing and support them into work.
"A great start would a job guarantee for any young person out of work for at least six months."
Britain's highest unemployment benefits claim rates by young people was in Nottingham's Midlands neighbour of Birmingham. The Ladywood area had Britain's highest rate, at 10.9 percent.
Heather Davis, 25, who got one of the jobs at Costa's new Mapperley branch, said: "I'm really happy here. This is the perfect job for me. I hope the training to be assistant manager will be completed by May. More responsibility is exactly what I've always wanted. I always want to better myself."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools