Credit Agricole resigns as member of LME
February 20, 2013 4:49 AM EST
The move follows the bank's announcement in December 2011 that it would stop trading commodities and would also slash its financing of the multi-billion-dollar market, in sweeping commodity cuts among European banks strained by the euro zone crisis.
The LME said Credit Agricole, France's No.3 bank, had resigned as a Category 2 member of the exchange. Category 2 members are entitled to trade on the electronic LMESelect and the telephone market, but not in the open outcry ring.
Earlier this month, the bank announced 3.8 billion euros (3.3 billion pounds) in charges as banks continued to struggle to move on from ill-timed deals before the 2008 financial crisis.
Those charges came less than three months after Credit Agricole unveiled 3.6 billion euros of write downs with its third-quarter results which will plunge it to the largest annual loss since it went public in 2001.
Volatile commodity prices, dimmer growth prospects and tougher regulation are also forcing some firms to question the outlook for the decade-long boom in trading raw materials.
(Reporting by Susan Thomas; editing by Veronica Brown and Keiron Henderson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air