Credit Agricole resigns as member of LME
February 20, 2013 4:49 AM EST
The move follows the bank's announcement in December 2011 that it would stop trading commodities and would also slash its financing of the multi-billion-dollar market, in sweeping commodity cuts among European banks strained by the euro zone crisis.
The LME said Credit Agricole, France's No.3 bank, had resigned as a Category 2 member of the exchange. Category 2 members are entitled to trade on the electronic LMESelect and the telephone market, but not in the open outcry ring.
Earlier this month, the bank announced 3.8 billion euros (3.3 billion pounds) in charges as banks continued to struggle to move on from ill-timed deals before the 2008 financial crisis.
Those charges came less than three months after Credit Agricole unveiled 3.6 billion euros of write downs with its third-quarter results which will plunge it to the largest annual loss since it went public in 2001.
Volatile commodity prices, dimmer growth prospects and tougher regulation are also forcing some firms to question the outlook for the decade-long boom in trading raw materials.
(Reporting by Susan Thomas; editing by Veronica Brown and Keiron Henderson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone