Credit Agricole resigns as member of LME
February 20, 2013 4:49 AM EST
The move follows the bank's announcement in December 2011 that it would stop trading commodities and would also slash its financing of the multi-billion-dollar market, in sweeping commodity cuts among European banks strained by the euro zone crisis.
The LME said Credit Agricole, France's No.3 bank, had resigned as a Category 2 member of the exchange. Category 2 members are entitled to trade on the electronic LMESelect and the telephone market, but not in the open outcry ring.
Earlier this month, the bank announced 3.8 billion euros (3.3 billion pounds) in charges as banks continued to struggle to move on from ill-timed deals before the 2008 financial crisis.
Those charges came less than three months after Credit Agricole unveiled 3.6 billion euros of write downs with its third-quarter results which will plunge it to the largest annual loss since it went public in 2001.
Volatile commodity prices, dimmer growth prospects and tougher regulation are also forcing some firms to question the outlook for the decade-long boom in trading raw materials.
(Reporting by Susan Thomas; editing by Veronica Brown and Keiron Henderson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff