'Vishwaroopam' Box Office Collection: Ban on Kamal Haasan Starrer Lifted in Malaysia
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 20, 2013 4:26 AM EST
Superstar Kamal Haasan's controversial film, "Vishwaroopam", which is still going strong at the box office, could rake in even more revenue in the days to come, as Malaysian authorities has finally lifted the ban on its screening in the country.
The lift in the ban came weeks after "Vishwaroopam" hit the threstres in the rest of the world last month, but the move of the Malaysia government will delight the Indian community in the country.
The film was released in Malaysia on Jan 24 after the National Film Development Corporation (FINAS) cleared it but Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein imposed ban on its screening after Muslim groups protested, alleging that it shows Muslim community in a bad light.
"Vishwaroopam" has been dogged by controversies ever since actor Kamal Haasan announced the release date.
All the three versions (Tamil, Telugu and Hindi) of the film were originally scheduled for release worldwide on Jan 25 but it was released only abroad due to legal issues following protests by Muslim groups alleging that a few scenes were of bad taste.
The Hindi version, "Vishwaroop" was released in about 800 theatres on Feb 1 but the Tamil version was further delayed after the Jayalalithaa government imposed banned on its screening citing Section 144 of CrPC despite clearance by the censor board.
The makers of the film finally announced the release date of the film in Tamil Nadu after the state government lifted the ban following an "amicable settlement" with the Muslim groups.
"Vishwaroop" (Hindi version) has so far collected ₹12.75 crore from domestic box office after the second weekend and ₹9.14 crore from overseas.
Tamil version, "Vishwaroopam" earned ₹5 crore on the opening day from the state alone but its collection thereafter is still not known. Rahul Bose, who plays one of the lead roles in the film, tweeted that the film has earned ₹120 from Tamil Nadu alone but Kamal Hassan has denied it, saying that it hasn't touched ₹100-crore-mark.
However, Cinema Lead reported a few days later that "Vishwaroopam" has collected approximately ₹105 crore nett worldwide.
Kamal Haasan not only wrote and directed "Vishwaroopam" but also co-produced it with Chandra Haasan and Prasad Vara Potluri. It features Kamal, Rahul Bose, Pooja Kumar, Andrea Jeremiah and Jaideep Ahlawat in the lead roles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6