BBC Plays Jimi Hendrix Gun Murder Anthem Straight after Oscar Pistorius Report
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 2:47 AM EST
BBC radio hit the wrong note by playing a song in which a man vows to shoot dead his girlfriend - after a report on Oscar Pistorius gunning down lover Reeva Steenkamp.
BBC 6 Music made the blunder when Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix came on, straight after a news item on the fatal shooting of Steenkamp by Olympic idol Pistorius.
The druggy rock classic features of raft of disturbing lyrics, in which the subject reveals his plan to execute a woman and then gleefully confesses to the grisly crime.
Lines include "where you going with that gun in your hand? I'm going out to shoot my old lady"
Listeners on the popular breakfast show hosted by DJ Shaun Keaveny heard Hendrix sing:
"I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady, [...] You shot her down now. Hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down. You shot her down in the ground yeah! Yeah!
"Yes, I did, I shot her You know I caught her messin' round messin' round town. Huh, yes I did I shot her. You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round town."
Keaveny, who is popular with a dedicated band of listeners for his deadpan northern wit and string of lame gags, said sorry for the crass gaffe when the song finished.
But BBC bosses scrambled to minimise the fallout from the incident, issuing a second apology soon after it was broadcast.
"In light of the nature of the news story, we apologise for any offence caused by the proximity of the song Hey Joe to the bulletin," a Corporation spokesman said.
"An on-air apology was made immediately the mistake was realised."
Olympic runner Pistorius broke down in court this morning as his version of events around Steenkamp's violent death.
Judge Desmond Nair ordered his client's lawyer to temporarily stop reading his client's statement because Pistorius appeared so distressed.
Pistorius, dubbed Bladerunner for his prosthetic legs, spoke of his pain at gunning down pretty Steenkamp on Valentine's Day. She was blasted three times through a bathroom door. Pistorius claimed he was terrified because he thought she was an intruder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More