BBC Plays Jimi Hendrix Gun Murder Anthem Straight after Oscar Pistorius Report
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 2:47 AM EST
BBC radio hit the wrong note by playing a song in which a man vows to shoot dead his girlfriend - after a report on Oscar Pistorius gunning down lover Reeva Steenkamp.
BBC 6 Music made the blunder when Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix came on, straight after a news item on the fatal shooting of Steenkamp by Olympic idol Pistorius.
The druggy rock classic features of raft of disturbing lyrics, in which the subject reveals his plan to execute a woman and then gleefully confesses to the grisly crime.
Lines include "where you going with that gun in your hand? I'm going out to shoot my old lady"
Listeners on the popular breakfast show hosted by DJ Shaun Keaveny heard Hendrix sing:
"I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady, [...] You shot her down now. Hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down. You shot her down in the ground yeah! Yeah!
"Yes, I did, I shot her You know I caught her messin' round messin' round town. Huh, yes I did I shot her. You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round town."
Keaveny, who is popular with a dedicated band of listeners for his deadpan northern wit and string of lame gags, said sorry for the crass gaffe when the song finished.
But BBC bosses scrambled to minimise the fallout from the incident, issuing a second apology soon after it was broadcast.
"In light of the nature of the news story, we apologise for any offence caused by the proximity of the song Hey Joe to the bulletin," a Corporation spokesman said.
"An on-air apology was made immediately the mistake was realised."
Olympic runner Pistorius broke down in court this morning as his version of events around Steenkamp's violent death.
Judge Desmond Nair ordered his client's lawyer to temporarily stop reading his client's statement because Pistorius appeared so distressed.
Pistorius, dubbed Bladerunner for his prosthetic legs, spoke of his pain at gunning down pretty Steenkamp on Valentine's Day. She was blasted three times through a bathroom door. Pistorius claimed he was terrified because he thought she was an intruder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date