Paralympic Movement Can Recover From Oscar Pistorius Affair - IPC
By Nick Howson | February 20, 2013 2:45 AM EST
International Paralympic Committee president Sir Philip Craven believes Great Britain's Jonnie Peacock is among the candidates to spearhead the movement's new era after South African star Oscar Pistorius was charged with premeditated murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Pistorius, a six-time Paralympic champion and the first double amputee to compete in an Olympic Games has cancelled all forthcoming races as he seeks bail in his homeland.
The 26 year old has been the movement's poster boy for close to a decade after his trailblazing heroics in able-bodied athletics, in which he won a World Championships 4x400m silver in 2011.
Historic participation in the London 2012 Olympic Games after years of campaigning worked to further enhance Paralympic sport on a global level, a status substantially damaged by the charges against the athlete.
IPC chief Craven has issued a rallying call to the Paralympic movement, stating the sport's latest icons can rebuild its' reputation.
"At the IPC, we can decide what happens next in terms of the Paralympic Movement," Craven wrote in an open letter of the Paralympic family.
"Over the coming days we will be conducting a number of interviews with leading media organisations with the objective of showing to the world that we boast a wealth of high profile athletes who can, and will, continue to captivate the world's media attention and inspire and excite the world helping to fulfil the IPC's vision.
"We also have a number of high profile events coming up that will build on the momentum of London 2012.
"London 2012 did not just inspire a generation, but created a whole host of young world class medal winning athletes.
"In track and field for example the likes of Britain's Jonnie Peacock, the Netherlands' Marlou van Rhijn, Brazil's Alan Cardoso Fonteles Oliveira and Namibia's Johanna Benson to name just a few, all have the ability to propel the Paralympic Movement to new levels.
"The profile of our athletes has never been higher, nor has the demand to watch Paralympic Sport. Research by LOCOG post London 2012 showed the public's awareness of the leading athletes tripled during the Games.
"Together it is our job to continue building this profile regardless of the outcome of this terrible case."
Peacock's defeat of Pistorius in the T44 100m final during London 2012 was one of the iconic images of the Great British sporting summer, but the 19 year old has thus far resisted the temptation to commit to mirror his South African counterpart by moving to able-bodied competition.
"Never say never, but it would be a lot harder because of the disadvantage at the start," Peacock said in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists