Amazon Adds OpsWorks Tools To Its Amazon Web Services
By David Zielenziger | February 20, 2013 2:28 AM EST
Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN) said it had bolstered its fastest-growing unit, Amazon Web Services, or AWS, by adding AWS OpsWorks, design software tools that allow developers to manage all tasks required to model and manage their applications.
The Seattle-based e-retailer and content provider said the new functions provide more sophisticated development and management tools.
Companies including Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) and private Sugar Sync, an online storage provider, as well as colleges and government agencies, rely on Amazon Web Services for cloud applications and customer services.
Since inception in 2006, Amazon Web Services has become one of the bigger cloud services providers. Although Amazon doesn’t disclose revenue, analysts such as Jefferies’ Peter Misek reckon its 2012 revenue exceeded $2.1 billion and could rise 50 percent this year to top $3.1 billion.
Scott Wiltamuth, VP for developer productivity and tools for AWS, said OpsWorks enables customers to “automate the entire lifecycle” of their applications.
Shares of Amazon rose $1.77 to $266.86 in Tuesday trading. They’re up nearly 7 percent this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6, Episode 4 'Black Hole Sun' Recap/Spoilers: Hitching A Ride Home For Free, What Damon Did In May 10, 1994
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Project Ara Modules And Store: Beneficial Things Users And Developers Will Get Out Of Modular Technology
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Amber Says Louise And Blake Will Make ‘Perfect Robotic Couple’
- ‘Project Runway' Season 13 Recap: Episode 14 Finale, Part 2 Aired On Oct. 23, 2014, Winner Announced As Sean Kelly From New Zealand [WATCH VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports