Amazon Adds OpsWorks Tools To Its Amazon Web Services
By David Zielenziger | February 20, 2013 2:28 AM EST
Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN) said it had bolstered its fastest-growing unit, Amazon Web Services, or AWS, by adding AWS OpsWorks, design software tools that allow developers to manage all tasks required to model and manage their applications.
The Seattle-based e-retailer and content provider said the new functions provide more sophisticated development and management tools.
Companies including Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) and private Sugar Sync, an online storage provider, as well as colleges and government agencies, rely on Amazon Web Services for cloud applications and customer services.
Since inception in 2006, Amazon Web Services has become one of the bigger cloud services providers. Although Amazon doesn’t disclose revenue, analysts such as Jefferies’ Peter Misek reckon its 2012 revenue exceeded $2.1 billion and could rise 50 percent this year to top $3.1 billion.
Scott Wiltamuth, VP for developer productivity and tools for AWS, said OpsWorks enables customers to “automate the entire lifecycle” of their applications.
Shares of Amazon rose $1.77 to $266.86 in Tuesday trading. They’re up nearly 7 percent this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- 'Castle' Season 6 Spoilers: Episode 6 To Explore The Question What If Castle And Beckett Never Met -- Report
- FIA Revises Ban On Radio And Pit Board Communication
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best