Bipartisan commission proposes $2.4 trillion deficit reduction
February 20, 2013 1:42 AM EST
A bipartisan fiscal commission offered a plan to reduce U.S. government deficit spending by $2.4 trillion over 10 years on Tuesday and do so with a combination of spending cuts, a healthcare overhaul and tax reform.
The proposal by Democrat Erskine Bowles and Republican Alan Simpson, co-chairmen of a fiscal commission that President Barack Obama appointed early in his first term, added to the Washington debate over how to get a handle on $1 trillion annual deficits and a $16 trillion national debt.
The Simpson-Bowles plan would aim to achieve $2.4 trillion in deficit reduction over 10 years. About one-fourth of that reduction would come from health care reforms and another fourth from tax reform.
The remaining reduction would come from a combination of mandatory spending cuts, stronger caps on U.S. discretionary spending, using the Consumer Price Index for inflation-indexed provisions in the budget, and lower interest payments.
"The proposal also calls for a parallel process to make Social Security sustainably solvent and further actions to bring transportation spending and revenues in line and limit per capita cost growth in federal budgetary commitment to health care to about the growth rate of the economy," according to a summary of the plan.
(Reporting By Steve Holland; Editing by Doina Chiacu)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28