Wenger Addresses Contract Rumours
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:38 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hit back at rumours that he will sign a two-year extension at The Emirates Stadium.
The Frenchman is currently under fire after The Gunners' FA Cup exit at the hands of Blackburn Rovers, with the club on the brink of going an eighth consecutive season without winning a trophy.
Bayern Munich travel to north London for the first leg of the Champions League last 16 tie on Wednesday, Arsenal's last chance of silverware this season.
Prior to the game, reports had suggested Wenger was set to agree a new two year deal at the club, with his current contract due to expire in 2014, but the 63 year old has reacted angrily to the claims.
"The lie is targeted to hurt," Wenger said according to the Mirror.
"It's easy to say people are not happy and on top of that say he's extending the contract. That's what I mean.
"Why does it just come out when we lose a big game? In your opinion. You think I am so naive that I don't see what is behind that? You think I am a complete idiot."
Wenger went on to snap at a journalist: "I look at you not because you give information, I do not know if it is you, I do not know where the information comes from.
"Why do you look at me? I just thought you had given this information out."
Amid the frustration of being knocked-out of the FA Cup by lower league opposition for the first time in his Arsenal career, Wenger went on to question the opinion of those journalists reporting on the club.
He explained: "We live in a democracy of experts and opinions but we have to live with that and cope with that and show we have the mental strength to deal with any opinion. There are a lot of experts who are not necessarily always right."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]