Wenger Addresses Contract Rumours
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:38 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hit back at rumours that he will sign a two-year extension at The Emirates Stadium.
The Frenchman is currently under fire after The Gunners' FA Cup exit at the hands of Blackburn Rovers, with the club on the brink of going an eighth consecutive season without winning a trophy.
Bayern Munich travel to north London for the first leg of the Champions League last 16 tie on Wednesday, Arsenal's last chance of silverware this season.
Prior to the game, reports had suggested Wenger was set to agree a new two year deal at the club, with his current contract due to expire in 2014, but the 63 year old has reacted angrily to the claims.
"The lie is targeted to hurt," Wenger said according to the Mirror.
"It's easy to say people are not happy and on top of that say he's extending the contract. That's what I mean.
"Why does it just come out when we lose a big game? In your opinion. You think I am so naive that I don't see what is behind that? You think I am a complete idiot."
Wenger went on to snap at a journalist: "I look at you not because you give information, I do not know if it is you, I do not know where the information comes from.
"Why do you look at me? I just thought you had given this information out."
Amid the frustration of being knocked-out of the FA Cup by lower league opposition for the first time in his Arsenal career, Wenger went on to question the opinion of those journalists reporting on the club.
He explained: "We live in a democracy of experts and opinions but we have to live with that and cope with that and show we have the mental strength to deal with any opinion. There are a lot of experts who are not necessarily always right."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- Australian Liberals Urge Expat Kiwis To Favour John Key In New Zealand Election