Wenger Addresses Contract Rumours
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:38 AM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has hit back at rumours that he will sign a two-year extension at The Emirates Stadium.
The Frenchman is currently under fire after The Gunners' FA Cup exit at the hands of Blackburn Rovers, with the club on the brink of going an eighth consecutive season without winning a trophy.
Bayern Munich travel to north London for the first leg of the Champions League last 16 tie on Wednesday, Arsenal's last chance of silverware this season.
Prior to the game, reports had suggested Wenger was set to agree a new two year deal at the club, with his current contract due to expire in 2014, but the 63 year old has reacted angrily to the claims.
"The lie is targeted to hurt," Wenger said according to the Mirror.
"It's easy to say people are not happy and on top of that say he's extending the contract. That's what I mean.
"Why does it just come out when we lose a big game? In your opinion. You think I am so naive that I don't see what is behind that? You think I am a complete idiot."
Wenger went on to snap at a journalist: "I look at you not because you give information, I do not know if it is you, I do not know where the information comes from.
"Why do you look at me? I just thought you had given this information out."
Amid the frustration of being knocked-out of the FA Cup by lower league opposition for the first time in his Arsenal career, Wenger went on to question the opinion of those journalists reporting on the club.
He explained: "We live in a democracy of experts and opinions but we have to live with that and cope with that and show we have the mental strength to deal with any opinion. There are a lot of experts who are not necessarily always right."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air