Mark Lawrenson: United Star Has Been Better Than Suarez and Bale
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:21 AM EST
Mark Lawrenson has argued that Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has been in a class of his own for this season despite the likes of Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale starring in the Premier League.
Van Persie made the move to United from Arsenal in the summer and has continued his excellent form in front of goal, proving the difference maker on a number of occasions again this season.
The striker has currently scored 23 goals in all competitions and, as United look set to win a 20th title, Lawrenson has argued that he has shown he is the best in the league.
"My best three players of the season so far: Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale," he explained in the Mirror.
"Bale has crept in with his recent displays and Suarez has raised his level by excelling in his new role to play alongside Daniel Sturridge.
"But van Persie is in a class of his own. The Dutchman was under huge pressure because of the fee, expectation and pressure. But he's delivered. He's out on his own."
United are currently 12 points ahead of City in the table and defeated Reading last night to reach the FA Cup quarter final. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are also still very much in with a chance of progressing to the next stage of the Champions League after securing a draw with Real Madrid in the Berebeu.
Van Persie has played a crucial role in each competition and, despite being thought of as a controversial signing because of his age and injury history, Ferguson's decision appears to have been well and truly vindicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues