Mark Lawrenson: United Star Has Been Better Than Suarez and Bale
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:21 AM EST
Mark Lawrenson has argued that Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has been in a class of his own for this season despite the likes of Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale starring in the Premier League.
Van Persie made the move to United from Arsenal in the summer and has continued his excellent form in front of goal, proving the difference maker on a number of occasions again this season.
The striker has currently scored 23 goals in all competitions and, as United look set to win a 20th title, Lawrenson has argued that he has shown he is the best in the league.
"My best three players of the season so far: Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale," he explained in the Mirror.
"Bale has crept in with his recent displays and Suarez has raised his level by excelling in his new role to play alongside Daniel Sturridge.
"But van Persie is in a class of his own. The Dutchman was under huge pressure because of the fee, expectation and pressure. But he's delivered. He's out on his own."
United are currently 12 points ahead of City in the table and defeated Reading last night to reach the FA Cup quarter final. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are also still very much in with a chance of progressing to the next stage of the Champions League after securing a draw with Real Madrid in the Berebeu.
Van Persie has played a crucial role in each competition and, despite being thought of as a controversial signing because of his age and injury history, Ferguson's decision appears to have been well and truly vindicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?