Mark Lawrenson: United Star Has Been Better Than Suarez and Bale
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:21 AM EST
Mark Lawrenson has argued that Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has been in a class of his own for this season despite the likes of Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale starring in the Premier League.
Van Persie made the move to United from Arsenal in the summer and has continued his excellent form in front of goal, proving the difference maker on a number of occasions again this season.
The striker has currently scored 23 goals in all competitions and, as United look set to win a 20th title, Lawrenson has argued that he has shown he is the best in the league.
"My best three players of the season so far: Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale," he explained in the Mirror.
"Bale has crept in with his recent displays and Suarez has raised his level by excelling in his new role to play alongside Daniel Sturridge.
"But van Persie is in a class of his own. The Dutchman was under huge pressure because of the fee, expectation and pressure. But he's delivered. He's out on his own."
United are currently 12 points ahead of City in the table and defeated Reading last night to reach the FA Cup quarter final. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are also still very much in with a chance of progressing to the next stage of the Champions League after securing a draw with Real Madrid in the Berebeu.
Van Persie has played a crucial role in each competition and, despite being thought of as a controversial signing because of his age and injury history, Ferguson's decision appears to have been well and truly vindicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report