Mark Lawrenson: United Star Has Been Better Than Suarez and Bale
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:21 AM EST
Mark Lawrenson has argued that Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has been in a class of his own for this season despite the likes of Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale starring in the Premier League.
Van Persie made the move to United from Arsenal in the summer and has continued his excellent form in front of goal, proving the difference maker on a number of occasions again this season.
The striker has currently scored 23 goals in all competitions and, as United look set to win a 20th title, Lawrenson has argued that he has shown he is the best in the league.
"My best three players of the season so far: Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale," he explained in the Mirror.
"Bale has crept in with his recent displays and Suarez has raised his level by excelling in his new role to play alongside Daniel Sturridge.
"But van Persie is in a class of his own. The Dutchman was under huge pressure because of the fee, expectation and pressure. But he's delivered. He's out on his own."
United are currently 12 points ahead of City in the table and defeated Reading last night to reach the FA Cup quarter final. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are also still very much in with a chance of progressing to the next stage of the Champions League after securing a draw with Real Madrid in the Berebeu.
Van Persie has played a crucial role in each competition and, despite being thought of as a controversial signing because of his age and injury history, Ferguson's decision appears to have been well and truly vindicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup