Mark Lawrenson: United Star Has Been Better Than Suarez and Bale
By Vanessa Keller | February 20, 2013 12:21 AM EST
Mark Lawrenson has argued that Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has been in a class of his own for this season despite the likes of Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale starring in the Premier League.
Van Persie made the move to United from Arsenal in the summer and has continued his excellent form in front of goal, proving the difference maker on a number of occasions again this season.
The striker has currently scored 23 goals in all competitions and, as United look set to win a 20th title, Lawrenson has argued that he has shown he is the best in the league.
"My best three players of the season so far: Robin van Persie, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale," he explained in the Mirror.
"Bale has crept in with his recent displays and Suarez has raised his level by excelling in his new role to play alongside Daniel Sturridge.
"But van Persie is in a class of his own. The Dutchman was under huge pressure because of the fee, expectation and pressure. But he's delivered. He's out on his own."
United are currently 12 points ahead of City in the table and defeated Reading last night to reach the FA Cup quarter final. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are also still very much in with a chance of progressing to the next stage of the Champions League after securing a draw with Real Madrid in the Berebeu.
Van Persie has played a crucial role in each competition and, despite being thought of as a controversial signing because of his age and injury history, Ferguson's decision appears to have been well and truly vindicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation