Alien Slime Found at Somerset Nature Reserve after Meteor Strike
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Experts are examining a mysterious slime in a Somerset nature reserve in the wake of a meteor strike thousands of miles away in Russia.
Translucent goo which resembles "something living" was discovered pretty Ham Wall reserve by nature lovers. Theories abound about what the jelly is - from "crystallised brain fungus" to the decomposing remains of a dead frog.
Baffled site manager Steve Hughes said: "Whatever it is, it's very weird."
The unexplained blobs had cropped up all around the reserve.
"This past week we've been finding piles of this translucent jelly dotted around the reserve," he said. "Always on grass banks away from the water's edge.
"They are usually about 10cm (4in) in diameter. We've asked experts what it might be but no one is really sure. Whatever it is, it's very weird."
According to local folklore, the substance appears in the aftermath of meteor showers. Previous manifestations of it date to the 14th century, according to records.
During that period the slime has acquired celestial monikers including "star jelly," "astral jelly," or even "astromyxin".
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds spokesman Tony Whitehead said: "In folklore it is said to be deposited in the wake of meteor showers. It's great that in this day and age that there are still mysteries out there.
"Our reserve team will be looking out for the slime over the next few days but if anyone can offer any explanations we'd be glad to hear."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch