Alien Slime Found at Somerset Nature Reserve after Meteor Strike
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Experts are examining a mysterious slime in a Somerset nature reserve in the wake of a meteor strike thousands of miles away in Russia.
Translucent goo which resembles "something living" was discovered pretty Ham Wall reserve by nature lovers. Theories abound about what the jelly is - from "crystallised brain fungus" to the decomposing remains of a dead frog.
Baffled site manager Steve Hughes said: "Whatever it is, it's very weird."
The unexplained blobs had cropped up all around the reserve.
"This past week we've been finding piles of this translucent jelly dotted around the reserve," he said. "Always on grass banks away from the water's edge.
"They are usually about 10cm (4in) in diameter. We've asked experts what it might be but no one is really sure. Whatever it is, it's very weird."
According to local folklore, the substance appears in the aftermath of meteor showers. Previous manifestations of it date to the 14th century, according to records.
During that period the slime has acquired celestial monikers including "star jelly," "astral jelly," or even "astromyxin".
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds spokesman Tony Whitehead said: "In folklore it is said to be deposited in the wake of meteor showers. It's great that in this day and age that there are still mysteries out there.
"Our reserve team will be looking out for the slime over the next few days but if anyone can offer any explanations we'd be glad to hear."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health