Alien Slime Found at Somerset Nature Reserve after Meteor Strike
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Experts are examining a mysterious slime in a Somerset nature reserve in the wake of a meteor strike thousands of miles away in Russia.
Translucent goo which resembles "something living" was discovered pretty Ham Wall reserve by nature lovers. Theories abound about what the jelly is - from "crystallised brain fungus" to the decomposing remains of a dead frog.
Baffled site manager Steve Hughes said: "Whatever it is, it's very weird."
The unexplained blobs had cropped up all around the reserve.
"This past week we've been finding piles of this translucent jelly dotted around the reserve," he said. "Always on grass banks away from the water's edge.
"They are usually about 10cm (4in) in diameter. We've asked experts what it might be but no one is really sure. Whatever it is, it's very weird."
According to local folklore, the substance appears in the aftermath of meteor showers. Previous manifestations of it date to the 14th century, according to records.
During that period the slime has acquired celestial monikers including "star jelly," "astral jelly," or even "astromyxin".
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds spokesman Tony Whitehead said: "In folklore it is said to be deposited in the wake of meteor showers. It's great that in this day and age that there are still mysteries out there.
"Our reserve team will be looking out for the slime over the next few days but if anyone can offer any explanations we'd be glad to hear."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?