Alien Slime Found at Somerset Nature Reserve after Meteor Strike
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Experts are examining a mysterious slime in a Somerset nature reserve in the wake of a meteor strike thousands of miles away in Russia.
Translucent goo which resembles "something living" was discovered pretty Ham Wall reserve by nature lovers. Theories abound about what the jelly is - from "crystallised brain fungus" to the decomposing remains of a dead frog.
Baffled site manager Steve Hughes said: "Whatever it is, it's very weird."
The unexplained blobs had cropped up all around the reserve.
"This past week we've been finding piles of this translucent jelly dotted around the reserve," he said. "Always on grass banks away from the water's edge.
"They are usually about 10cm (4in) in diameter. We've asked experts what it might be but no one is really sure. Whatever it is, it's very weird."
According to local folklore, the substance appears in the aftermath of meteor showers. Previous manifestations of it date to the 14th century, according to records.
During that period the slime has acquired celestial monikers including "star jelly," "astral jelly," or even "astromyxin".
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds spokesman Tony Whitehead said: "In folklore it is said to be deposited in the wake of meteor showers. It's great that in this day and age that there are still mysteries out there.
"Our reserve team will be looking out for the slime over the next few days but if anyone can offer any explanations we'd be glad to hear."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'