Alien Slime Found at Somerset Nature Reserve after Meteor Strike
By Dominic Gover | February 20, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Experts are examining a mysterious slime in a Somerset nature reserve in the wake of a meteor strike thousands of miles away in Russia.
Translucent goo which resembles "something living" was discovered pretty Ham Wall reserve by nature lovers. Theories abound about what the jelly is - from "crystallised brain fungus" to the decomposing remains of a dead frog.
Baffled site manager Steve Hughes said: "Whatever it is, it's very weird."
The unexplained blobs had cropped up all around the reserve.
"This past week we've been finding piles of this translucent jelly dotted around the reserve," he said. "Always on grass banks away from the water's edge.
"They are usually about 10cm (4in) in diameter. We've asked experts what it might be but no one is really sure. Whatever it is, it's very weird."
According to local folklore, the substance appears in the aftermath of meteor showers. Previous manifestations of it date to the 14th century, according to records.
During that period the slime has acquired celestial monikers including "star jelly," "astral jelly," or even "astromyxin".
Royal Society for the Protection of Birds spokesman Tony Whitehead said: "In folklore it is said to be deposited in the wake of meteor showers. It's great that in this day and age that there are still mysteries out there.
"Our reserve team will be looking out for the slime over the next few days but if anyone can offer any explanations we'd be glad to hear."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen