Victoria Azarenka Pulls Out of Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships
By Martin Baccardax | February 19, 2013 11:24 PM EST
Victoria Azarenka has pulled out of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship after suffering and injury to her right foot.
The world number two, who snapped a nine game losing streak to Serena Williams on Sunday at the Qatar Total Open in Doha, is reported to have a bruised bone that will prevent her from defending her 14-0 season record. It is the second consecutive year in which the Australian Open champion has taken an early from the Dubai tournament and her third withdraw in the last year.
"I'm very disappointed, but I have to listen to my body," said Azarenka, who could have regained the number one spot she lost on Monday to Williams, despite beating the American in a three-set thriller Sunday night at the Khalifa Tennis Centre. "I have been playing on it a lot over the last five days so going to a new tournament is too much to handle right now. (The injury) keeps getting worse. It was an unfortunate decision that I had to make."
The Belarusian, who was due to play Russia's Nadia Petrova, will be replaced in the draw by "lucky loser" Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan