Victoria Azarenka Pulls Out of Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships
By Martin Baccardax | February 19, 2013 11:24 PM EST
Victoria Azarenka has pulled out of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship after suffering and injury to her right foot.
The world number two, who snapped a nine game losing streak to Serena Williams on Sunday at the Qatar Total Open in Doha, is reported to have a bruised bone that will prevent her from defending her 14-0 season record. It is the second consecutive year in which the Australian Open champion has taken an early from the Dubai tournament and her third withdraw in the last year.
"I'm very disappointed, but I have to listen to my body," said Azarenka, who could have regained the number one spot she lost on Monday to Williams, despite beating the American in a three-set thriller Sunday night at the Khalifa Tennis Centre. "I have been playing on it a lot over the last five days so going to a new tournament is too much to handle right now. (The injury) keeps getting worse. It was an unfortunate decision that I had to make."
The Belarusian, who was due to play Russia's Nadia Petrova, will be replaced in the draw by "lucky loser" Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools