Oscar Pistorius Applied for Six Firearm Licences before Girlfriend's Death
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 19, 2013 10:13 PM EST
South African Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius applied for six separate firearm licences in January, South African media has claimed as he prepares to stand trial on charges of murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
According to South African daily The Star, Pistorius applied for six firearms licences to possess a Maverick shotgun, Winchester shotgun, Mossberg shotgun, Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolver, .38 Special revolver, and a vector .223 rifle.
Smith & Wesson describes the Model 500 as "the world's most powerful handgun".
Defence analyst Helmoed Heitman told the daily: "I would understand if you are a collector or a farmer if you have a Vector .223 rifle. With all the attacks that happen on farms, maybe a farmer can justify having that type of weapon in the house. It's powerful enough that you wouldn't use it in a suburb unless you are well-trained".
The 9mm Parabellum pistol, with which Steenkamp was reportedly shot dead, was registered under Pistorius' name. Reports also suggested his initial application to acquire a licence for the pistol was denied in 2008 but approved two years later when he reapplied. The exact cause of the unsuccessful application remains unknown.
The athlete revealed in an interview in 2011 that he owned guns to protect himself against South Africa's high crime rate.
A civilian is allowed to own four firearms if the person is above 21 years of age in South Africa.
Statistics indicate nearly 50 people are killed by guns every day across the country - four times higher than the US.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko