Oscar Pistorius Applied for Six Firearm Licences before Girlfriend's Death
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 19, 2013 10:13 PM EST
South African Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius applied for six separate firearm licences in January, South African media has claimed as he prepares to stand trial on charges of murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
According to South African daily The Star, Pistorius applied for six firearms licences to possess a Maverick shotgun, Winchester shotgun, Mossberg shotgun, Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolver, .38 Special revolver, and a vector .223 rifle.
Smith & Wesson describes the Model 500 as "the world's most powerful handgun".
Defence analyst Helmoed Heitman told the daily: "I would understand if you are a collector or a farmer if you have a Vector .223 rifle. With all the attacks that happen on farms, maybe a farmer can justify having that type of weapon in the house. It's powerful enough that you wouldn't use it in a suburb unless you are well-trained".
The 9mm Parabellum pistol, with which Steenkamp was reportedly shot dead, was registered under Pistorius' name. Reports also suggested his initial application to acquire a licence for the pistol was denied in 2008 but approved two years later when he reapplied. The exact cause of the unsuccessful application remains unknown.
The athlete revealed in an interview in 2011 that he owned guns to protect himself against South Africa's high crime rate.
A civilian is allowed to own four firearms if the person is above 21 years of age in South Africa.
Statistics indicate nearly 50 people are killed by guns every day across the country - four times higher than the US.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand