Oscar Pistorius Applied for Six Firearm Licences before Girlfriend's Death
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 19, 2013 10:13 PM EST
South African Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius applied for six separate firearm licences in January, South African media has claimed as he prepares to stand trial on charges of murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
According to South African daily The Star, Pistorius applied for six firearms licences to possess a Maverick shotgun, Winchester shotgun, Mossberg shotgun, Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolver, .38 Special revolver, and a vector .223 rifle.
Smith & Wesson describes the Model 500 as "the world's most powerful handgun".
Defence analyst Helmoed Heitman told the daily: "I would understand if you are a collector or a farmer if you have a Vector .223 rifle. With all the attacks that happen on farms, maybe a farmer can justify having that type of weapon in the house. It's powerful enough that you wouldn't use it in a suburb unless you are well-trained".
The 9mm Parabellum pistol, with which Steenkamp was reportedly shot dead, was registered under Pistorius' name. Reports also suggested his initial application to acquire a licence for the pistol was denied in 2008 but approved two years later when he reapplied. The exact cause of the unsuccessful application remains unknown.
The athlete revealed in an interview in 2011 that he owned guns to protect himself against South Africa's high crime rate.
A civilian is allowed to own four firearms if the person is above 21 years of age in South Africa.
Statistics indicate nearly 50 people are killed by guns every day across the country - four times higher than the US.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight