Oscar Pistorius Applied for Six Firearm Licences before Girlfriend's Death
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 19, 2013 10:13 PM EST
South African Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius applied for six separate firearm licences in January, South African media has claimed as he prepares to stand trial on charges of murdering his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
According to South African daily The Star, Pistorius applied for six firearms licences to possess a Maverick shotgun, Winchester shotgun, Mossberg shotgun, Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolver, .38 Special revolver, and a vector .223 rifle.
Smith & Wesson describes the Model 500 as "the world's most powerful handgun".
Defence analyst Helmoed Heitman told the daily: "I would understand if you are a collector or a farmer if you have a Vector .223 rifle. With all the attacks that happen on farms, maybe a farmer can justify having that type of weapon in the house. It's powerful enough that you wouldn't use it in a suburb unless you are well-trained".
The 9mm Parabellum pistol, with which Steenkamp was reportedly shot dead, was registered under Pistorius' name. Reports also suggested his initial application to acquire a licence for the pistol was denied in 2008 but approved two years later when he reapplied. The exact cause of the unsuccessful application remains unknown.
The athlete revealed in an interview in 2011 that he owned guns to protect himself against South Africa's high crime rate.
A civilian is allowed to own four firearms if the person is above 21 years of age in South Africa.
Statistics indicate nearly 50 people are killed by guns every day across the country - four times higher than the US.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS