Athletic Bilbao Star in Talks With Arsenal, Claims Agent
By Naveen Ullal | February 19, 2013 10:07 PM EST
Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta's agent has revealed his client could join Arsenal at the end of the season.
The 27-year-old's current contract runs out in the summer and has not agreed a new deal with the Spanish club, making him a free agent at the end of the season. The Venezuela international has been linked with a move to the Emirates, while Liverpool are also keeping tabs on the player.
In addition to this, Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala recently made contact with the defender's agent but their approach was rejected by Amorebieta as he has now set his eyes on playing in England, according to his representative Gines Carvajal.
"We have had some contacts with Anzhi, they were ready to make a good offer, but my client wants to play in England, so the transfer to Russia was not possible. We are in talks with Arsenal, he could join them in June," the Daily Mirror quoted Carvajal.
Should Amorebieta join the north London club in the summer, it would be a major boost for Arsene Wenger in strengthening his back four, especially with Thomas Vermaelen being linked with a move to Barcelona.
Ramsey Prepared to Play in Any Position for Arsenal
Meanwhile, Aaron Ramsey has revealed that he is ready to play in any position for the north London club. The 22-year-old was recently deployed in the right-back position during their recent league game against Sunderland, after Carl Jenkinson was sent off.
"I've played in many positions this year. I had to go to right back as well against Sunderland for a bit. I think the only position I haven't played is in goal - I'm sure that'll come. I'm a centre midfielder, that's my preferred position. But if I'm asked to do a job somewhere, I'm not going to turn it down. I'll do it for the team and the boss," Ramsey told the club web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance