Athletic Bilbao Star in Talks With Arsenal, Claims Agent
By Naveen Ullal | February 19, 2013 10:07 PM EST
Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta's agent has revealed his client could join Arsenal at the end of the season.
The 27-year-old's current contract runs out in the summer and has not agreed a new deal with the Spanish club, making him a free agent at the end of the season. The Venezuela international has been linked with a move to the Emirates, while Liverpool are also keeping tabs on the player.
In addition to this, Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala recently made contact with the defender's agent but their approach was rejected by Amorebieta as he has now set his eyes on playing in England, according to his representative Gines Carvajal.
"We have had some contacts with Anzhi, they were ready to make a good offer, but my client wants to play in England, so the transfer to Russia was not possible. We are in talks with Arsenal, he could join them in June," the Daily Mirror quoted Carvajal.
Should Amorebieta join the north London club in the summer, it would be a major boost for Arsene Wenger in strengthening his back four, especially with Thomas Vermaelen being linked with a move to Barcelona.
Ramsey Prepared to Play in Any Position for Arsenal
Meanwhile, Aaron Ramsey has revealed that he is ready to play in any position for the north London club. The 22-year-old was recently deployed in the right-back position during their recent league game against Sunderland, after Carl Jenkinson was sent off.
"I've played in many positions this year. I had to go to right back as well against Sunderland for a bit. I think the only position I haven't played is in goal - I'm sure that'll come. I'm a centre midfielder, that's my preferred position. But if I'm asked to do a job somewhere, I'm not going to turn it down. I'll do it for the team and the boss," Ramsey told the club web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch