Israeli Sniper’s Instagram Picture Of Palestinian Boy’s Head In Rifle Crosshairs Sparks Outcry
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2013 10:03 PM EST
The Internet has run abuzz with condemnation and fury after a photo which apparently shows the head of a Palestinian boy in the crosshairs of a rifle was posted online by an Israeli sniper.
The photo posted on the personal Instagram page of the Israeli sniper, Mor Ostrovski, was later removed. However, the photo has gone viral after campaigners such as the Palestinian website, The Electronic Intifada, dubbed the picture as "tasteless and dehumanizing".
The picture shows the back of a sitting boy whose head is in the centre of a rifle's target. Given the background of the picture, furious campaigners claim that the picture suggests Palestinians are being targeted.
"It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets," the Electronic Intifada wrote.
The website also said that Ostroveski posted other pictures on Instragram in which he proudly poses with his rifle.
Ostroveski serves in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) which has condemned the incident and has promised an investigation.
"This is a severe incident which doesn't accord with the IDF's spirits and values," The Telegraph has quoted an IDF spokeswoman as saying.
"The issue was brought to the attention of the soldier's commanding officers, will be examined and properly handled."
This is the latest in a series of embarrassing pictures posted by Israeli soldiers on social networking sites. Recently, a soldier was sentenced to 14 days in military prison after he posted a picture on Facebook in which he poses next to blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian detainees.
The Palestinian website claimed that these controversies signified that IDF deceptively portrayed itself as "the most moral army in the world."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related