Israeli Sniper’s Instagram Picture Of Palestinian Boy’s Head In Rifle Crosshairs Sparks Outcry
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2013 10:03 PM EST
The Internet has run abuzz with condemnation and fury after a photo which apparently shows the head of a Palestinian boy in the crosshairs of a rifle was posted online by an Israeli sniper.
The photo posted on the personal Instagram page of the Israeli sniper, Mor Ostrovski, was later removed. However, the photo has gone viral after campaigners such as the Palestinian website, The Electronic Intifada, dubbed the picture as "tasteless and dehumanizing".
The picture shows the back of a sitting boy whose head is in the centre of a rifle's target. Given the background of the picture, furious campaigners claim that the picture suggests Palestinians are being targeted.
"It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets," the Electronic Intifada wrote.
The website also said that Ostroveski posted other pictures on Instragram in which he proudly poses with his rifle.
Ostroveski serves in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) which has condemned the incident and has promised an investigation.
"This is a severe incident which doesn't accord with the IDF's spirits and values," The Telegraph has quoted an IDF spokeswoman as saying.
"The issue was brought to the attention of the soldier's commanding officers, will be examined and properly handled."
This is the latest in a series of embarrassing pictures posted by Israeli soldiers on social networking sites. Recently, a soldier was sentenced to 14 days in military prison after he posted a picture on Facebook in which he poses next to blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian detainees.
The Palestinian website claimed that these controversies signified that IDF deceptively portrayed itself as "the most moral army in the world."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- Passengers Shouted 'Shame' On Pak Politician For Delaying Flight And Barred Him From Boarding
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown