Israeli Sniper’s Instagram Picture Of Palestinian Boy’s Head In Rifle Crosshairs Sparks Outcry
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2013 10:03 PM EST
The Internet has run abuzz with condemnation and fury after a photo which apparently shows the head of a Palestinian boy in the crosshairs of a rifle was posted online by an Israeli sniper.
The photo posted on the personal Instagram page of the Israeli sniper, Mor Ostrovski, was later removed. However, the photo has gone viral after campaigners such as the Palestinian website, The Electronic Intifada, dubbed the picture as "tasteless and dehumanizing".
The picture shows the back of a sitting boy whose head is in the centre of a rifle's target. Given the background of the picture, furious campaigners claim that the picture suggests Palestinians are being targeted.
"It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets," the Electronic Intifada wrote.
The website also said that Ostroveski posted other pictures on Instragram in which he proudly poses with his rifle.
Ostroveski serves in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) which has condemned the incident and has promised an investigation.
"This is a severe incident which doesn't accord with the IDF's spirits and values," The Telegraph has quoted an IDF spokeswoman as saying.
"The issue was brought to the attention of the soldier's commanding officers, will be examined and properly handled."
This is the latest in a series of embarrassing pictures posted by Israeli soldiers on social networking sites. Recently, a soldier was sentenced to 14 days in military prison after he posted a picture on Facebook in which he poses next to blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian detainees.
The Palestinian website claimed that these controversies signified that IDF deceptively portrayed itself as "the most moral army in the world."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy