Israeli Sniper’s Instagram Picture Of Palestinian Boy’s Head In Rifle Crosshairs Sparks Outcry
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2013 10:03 PM EST
The Internet has run abuzz with condemnation and fury after a photo which apparently shows the head of a Palestinian boy in the crosshairs of a rifle was posted online by an Israeli sniper.
The photo posted on the personal Instagram page of the Israeli sniper, Mor Ostrovski, was later removed. However, the photo has gone viral after campaigners such as the Palestinian website, The Electronic Intifada, dubbed the picture as "tasteless and dehumanizing".
The picture shows the back of a sitting boy whose head is in the centre of a rifle's target. Given the background of the picture, furious campaigners claim that the picture suggests Palestinians are being targeted.
"It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets," the Electronic Intifada wrote.
The website also said that Ostroveski posted other pictures on Instragram in which he proudly poses with his rifle.
Ostroveski serves in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) which has condemned the incident and has promised an investigation.
"This is a severe incident which doesn't accord with the IDF's spirits and values," The Telegraph has quoted an IDF spokeswoman as saying.
"The issue was brought to the attention of the soldier's commanding officers, will be examined and properly handled."
This is the latest in a series of embarrassing pictures posted by Israeli soldiers on social networking sites. Recently, a soldier was sentenced to 14 days in military prison after he posted a picture on Facebook in which he poses next to blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian detainees.
The Palestinian website claimed that these controversies signified that IDF deceptively portrayed itself as "the most moral army in the world."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon