Israeli Sniper’s Instagram Picture Of Palestinian Boy’s Head In Rifle Crosshairs Sparks Outcry
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2013 10:03 PM EST
The Internet has run abuzz with condemnation and fury after a photo which apparently shows the head of a Palestinian boy in the crosshairs of a rifle was posted online by an Israeli sniper.
The photo posted on the personal Instagram page of the Israeli sniper, Mor Ostrovski, was later removed. However, the photo has gone viral after campaigners such as the Palestinian website, The Electronic Intifada, dubbed the picture as "tasteless and dehumanizing".
The picture shows the back of a sitting boy whose head is in the centre of a rifle's target. Given the background of the picture, furious campaigners claim that the picture suggests Palestinians are being targeted.
"It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets," the Electronic Intifada wrote.
The website also said that Ostroveski posted other pictures on Instragram in which he proudly poses with his rifle.
Ostroveski serves in the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) which has condemned the incident and has promised an investigation.
"This is a severe incident which doesn't accord with the IDF's spirits and values," The Telegraph has quoted an IDF spokeswoman as saying.
"The issue was brought to the attention of the soldier's commanding officers, will be examined and properly handled."
This is the latest in a series of embarrassing pictures posted by Israeli soldiers on social networking sites. Recently, a soldier was sentenced to 14 days in military prison after he posted a picture on Facebook in which he poses next to blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian detainees.
The Palestinian website claimed that these controversies signified that IDF deceptively portrayed itself as "the most moral army in the world."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People