Bulgaria prosecutors propose revoking CEZ power licence
February 19, 2013 10:00 PM EST
Bulgarian prosecutors want to remove Czech company CEZ's licence for power distribution in the Balkan country, an official said on Tuesday, after nationwide protests against electricity prices.
Tens of thousands of people have demonstrated across Bulgaria, the European Union's poorest company, and demanded that the government renationalise power distributors CEZ, Czech firm Energo-Pro and Austria's EVN.
"As far as the systematic violations of the separate district power distribution companies are concerned, we came to the conclusion there is a need to make a proposal ... for revoking the CEZ licence," Sofia prosecutor Georgi Kamburov told reporters.
On Monday the government, whose support is slipping before a July election, sacked Finance Minister Simeon Djankov, who was unpopular for keeping a tight rein on spending, but protests continued regardless.
CEZ shares in Prague extended losses after the news, falling as much as 1.8 percent to a three-week low.
(Reporting by Tsvetelia Tsolova and Angel Krasimirov; Writing by Sam Cage; editing by Jane Baird)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015