Bulgaria prosecutors propose revoking CEZ power licence
February 19, 2013 10:00 PM EST
Bulgarian prosecutors want to remove Czech company CEZ's licence for power distribution in the Balkan country, an official said on Tuesday, after nationwide protests against electricity prices.
Tens of thousands of people have demonstrated across Bulgaria, the European Union's poorest company, and demanded that the government renationalise power distributors CEZ, Czech firm Energo-Pro and Austria's EVN.
"As far as the systematic violations of the separate district power distribution companies are concerned, we came to the conclusion there is a need to make a proposal ... for revoking the CEZ licence," Sofia prosecutor Georgi Kamburov told reporters.
On Monday the government, whose support is slipping before a July election, sacked Finance Minister Simeon Djankov, who was unpopular for keeping a tight rein on spending, but protests continued regardless.
CEZ shares in Prague extended losses after the news, falling as much as 1.8 percent to a three-week low.
(Reporting by Tsvetelia Tsolova and Angel Krasimirov; Writing by Sam Cage; editing by Jane Baird)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying