Bulgaria prosecutors propose revoking CEZ power licence
February 19, 2013 10:00 PM EST
Bulgarian prosecutors want to remove Czech company CEZ's licence for power distribution in the Balkan country, an official said on Tuesday, after nationwide protests against electricity prices.
Tens of thousands of people have demonstrated across Bulgaria, the European Union's poorest company, and demanded that the government renationalise power distributors CEZ, Czech firm Energo-Pro and Austria's EVN.
"As far as the systematic violations of the separate district power distribution companies are concerned, we came to the conclusion there is a need to make a proposal ... for revoking the CEZ licence," Sofia prosecutor Georgi Kamburov told reporters.
On Monday the government, whose support is slipping before a July election, sacked Finance Minister Simeon Djankov, who was unpopular for keeping a tight rein on spending, but protests continued regardless.
CEZ shares in Prague extended losses after the news, falling as much as 1.8 percent to a three-week low.
(Reporting by Tsvetelia Tsolova and Angel Krasimirov; Writing by Sam Cage; editing by Jane Baird)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports