Reeva Steenkamp 'the Little Angel' Cremated as Oscar Pistorius Weeps in Court
By Umberto Bacchi | February 19, 2013 9:59 PM EST
Mourners gathered in South Africa's southern town of Port Elizabeth for the funeral of Reeva Steenkamp, who was allegedly shot dead by her Olympian boyfriend Oscar Pistorius on Valentine's Day.
Family and friends attended the private cremation ceremony for the 29-year-old law graduate and model.
"There's a space missing inside all the people that she knew that can't be filled again. We'll miss her," Steenkamp's brother Adam told reporters.
"She was an angel. She was so soft, so innocent. Such a lovely person. It's just sad that this could happen to somebody so good," Gavin Venter, an ex-jockey who worked for Steenkamp's father told Reuters.
"I'm disgusted with what he did. He must be dealt with harshly," he added. "Without a doubt he's a danger to the public. He'll be a danger to witnesses. He must stay in jail."
Six pallbearers carried Steenkamp's body out of a black Mercedes hearse into the Victoria Park Crematorium.The coffin was draped in a light brown cloth and spread with flowers.
"All we want are answers... answers as to why this had to happen, why our beautiful daughter had to die like this," Steenkamp's mother June told The Times of South Africa in an interview published yesterday.
"The city is in grief, a little angel is no more," the deputy mayor of Port Elizabeth's municipality of Nelson Mandela Bay Nancy Sihlwayi attending the funeral told the newspaper.
Prosecutors accused the Olympian of premeditated murder and told the court he fired four shots at Steenkamp through his bathroom door after she had locked herself in.
Pistorius's lawyer, Barry Roux, said there is no evidence of premeditation and his client might well haven't been aware of who was behind the door.
The trial continues.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions