Texas Woman Gives Birth To Two Sets Of Twins In A Day, But They Are Not Quadruplets
By IBTIMES STAFF REPORTER | February 19, 2013 8:34 PM EST
A Texas woman bagged a one-in-70-million-opportunity when she delivered two sets of identical twins in a Houston hospital on the Valentine’s Day.
Thirty-six-year-old Tressa Montalvo gave birth to four babies - two sets of identical twins at the Woman's Hospital of Texas in Houston. Yet the babies are not quadruplets, as they are share two different placentas, which make them two sets of identical twins, a news release from the hospital said.
The babies were born after 31 weeks of pregnancy through Caesarean section.
Tressa Montalvo and her 43-year-old husband Manuel Montalvo, Jr. had planned the pregnancy and did not use any fertility drug. They had hoped for a little brother or sister for their two-and-half-year-old son, Memphis, the release said.
“We were trying for one little brother or sister for our two-and-a-half year old son, Memphis.” Tressa said, adding, “No fertility drugs were used. We planned the pregnancy―I guess we just succeeded a little too much!”
Montalvo’s physician had told them to expect a set of twins when she was 10-weeks pregnant. Later, on a subsequent visit, the doctor detected a third heart beat after which they were referred to a maternal fetal medicine specialist, Dr Brian Kirshon, who informed them they were going to have two sets of twins.
“We couldn’t have been more surprised when Dr. Kirshon told us we were having four babies and that they were two sets of twins,” Manuel Montalvo said according to the release.
The chance of delivering two sets of naturally occurring identical twins from different placentas is rare - somewhere in the range of 1-in-70 million - according to the hospital. In this case, two boys shared one placenta and other two shared another placenta. In the case of quadruplets, all the four babies will normally share same placenta.
Montalvos named the babies following the A-B-C-D theme. Ace and Blaine, were born at 8:51 a.m. weighing 1.64 kg and 1.79 kg respectively, and Cash and Dylan were born a minute behind, at 8:52 a.m. weighing 1.33 kg and 1.53 kg respectively.
“We tried to stick to the A-B-C-D theme when naming them,” Tressa said. “We didn’t expect it, we were trying for just one and we were blessed with four.”
According to the hospital release, Montalvos are not done yet as they “want a girl."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- 5 Shocking Findings About Great Barrier Reef Report Revealed
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Evolution Before Man's Eyes
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display