Kate Middleton to Visit Action on Addiction’s South London Rehab Centre in Wake of Bikini Baby Bump Pics
By Hannah Osborne | February 19, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Kate Middleton is to make her first public appearance since Italian magazine Chi published pictures of her bikini baby bump.
She became a patron of the charity, which supports people with addictions and their families, in January 2012.
Amanda Thomson, research manager at Action on Addiction, said it will be an emotional visit for the Duchess: "This has to be one of the hardest jobs for her so far.
"These are heart-rending tales of what they have been through. It's a gritty issue - it will be an emotional day.
"The Duchess has a heart and will certainly find it moving - it's impossible not to cry."
Chief executive Nick Barton said he was "thrilled" that Kate supports the charity and their cause: "We are very grateful to the Duchess whose support will enable us to keep the issue of addiction in the spotlight. Addiction is a consuming condition that results in a great deal of harm to individuals, families, communities and society as a whole.
Hilary Mantel calls Kate plastic princess
"Yet, it is not always well understood or responded to effectively. We are thrilled that the Duchess will be supporting us in our mission to free people from addiction and its effects."
Her visit to Action on Addiction is only the third public appearance Kate has made since announcing her pregnancy in December.
Unofficial pictures of her in a bikini, showing her baby bump, were published by Italian magazine Chi last week, to the disappointment of St James' Palace.
The pictures showed Kate and Prince William on the beach on the Caribbean island of Mustique.
It is also her first appearance since Booker Prize winner Hilary Mantel criticised the Duchess for being a "plastic" princess who had "dead eyes", and whose only purpose is to breed and be polite.
Mantel was lambasted for her comments, with Telegraph women's editor Emma Barnett saying the author's comments were "cheap and cruel".
She said we will learn more about Kate through the charities she chooses to support, adding: "As a fully paid-up member of the royal family, she can only respond by doing the very same thing Mantel has criticised her for: staying quiet."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]