Kate Middleton to Visit Action on Addiction’s South London Rehab Centre in Wake of Bikini Baby Bump Pics
By Hannah Osborne | February 19, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Kate Middleton is to make her first public appearance since Italian magazine Chi published pictures of her bikini baby bump.
She became a patron of the charity, which supports people with addictions and their families, in January 2012.
Amanda Thomson, research manager at Action on Addiction, said it will be an emotional visit for the Duchess: "This has to be one of the hardest jobs for her so far.
"These are heart-rending tales of what they have been through. It's a gritty issue - it will be an emotional day.
"The Duchess has a heart and will certainly find it moving - it's impossible not to cry."
Chief executive Nick Barton said he was "thrilled" that Kate supports the charity and their cause: "We are very grateful to the Duchess whose support will enable us to keep the issue of addiction in the spotlight. Addiction is a consuming condition that results in a great deal of harm to individuals, families, communities and society as a whole.
Hilary Mantel calls Kate plastic princess
"Yet, it is not always well understood or responded to effectively. We are thrilled that the Duchess will be supporting us in our mission to free people from addiction and its effects."
Her visit to Action on Addiction is only the third public appearance Kate has made since announcing her pregnancy in December.
Unofficial pictures of her in a bikini, showing her baby bump, were published by Italian magazine Chi last week, to the disappointment of St James' Palace.
The pictures showed Kate and Prince William on the beach on the Caribbean island of Mustique.
It is also her first appearance since Booker Prize winner Hilary Mantel criticised the Duchess for being a "plastic" princess who had "dead eyes", and whose only purpose is to breed and be polite.
Mantel was lambasted for her comments, with Telegraph women's editor Emma Barnett saying the author's comments were "cheap and cruel".
She said we will learn more about Kate through the charities she chooses to support, adding: "As a fully paid-up member of the royal family, she can only respond by doing the very same thing Mantel has criticised her for: staying quiet."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales