Kate Middleton to Visit Action on Addiction’s South London Rehab Centre in Wake of Bikini Baby Bump Pics
By Hannah Osborne | February 19, 2013 8:35 PM EST
Kate Middleton is to make her first public appearance since Italian magazine Chi published pictures of her bikini baby bump.
She became a patron of the charity, which supports people with addictions and their families, in January 2012.
Amanda Thomson, research manager at Action on Addiction, said it will be an emotional visit for the Duchess: "This has to be one of the hardest jobs for her so far.
"These are heart-rending tales of what they have been through. It's a gritty issue - it will be an emotional day.
"The Duchess has a heart and will certainly find it moving - it's impossible not to cry."
Chief executive Nick Barton said he was "thrilled" that Kate supports the charity and their cause: "We are very grateful to the Duchess whose support will enable us to keep the issue of addiction in the spotlight. Addiction is a consuming condition that results in a great deal of harm to individuals, families, communities and society as a whole.
Hilary Mantel calls Kate plastic princess
"Yet, it is not always well understood or responded to effectively. We are thrilled that the Duchess will be supporting us in our mission to free people from addiction and its effects."
Her visit to Action on Addiction is only the third public appearance Kate has made since announcing her pregnancy in December.
Unofficial pictures of her in a bikini, showing her baby bump, were published by Italian magazine Chi last week, to the disappointment of St James' Palace.
The pictures showed Kate and Prince William on the beach on the Caribbean island of Mustique.
It is also her first appearance since Booker Prize winner Hilary Mantel criticised the Duchess for being a "plastic" princess who had "dead eyes", and whose only purpose is to breed and be polite.
Mantel was lambasted for her comments, with Telegraph women's editor Emma Barnett saying the author's comments were "cheap and cruel".
She said we will learn more about Kate through the charities she chooses to support, adding: "As a fully paid-up member of the royal family, she can only respond by doing the very same thing Mantel has criticised her for: staying quiet."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS