Volkswagen Aims For Higher Market Share In Canada
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 19, 2013 8:31 PM EST
Volkswagen Canada has improved its sales in the tough market over the past five years. But John White, president of Volkswagen Canada, has an ambitious goal for the next five years - to increase its share in the market nearly by 40 percent.
Volkswagen is aiming to be the most prestigious brand in Canada. "We want to be the most aspirational volume automotive brand in Canada," White said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.
Last year, the company had 3.5 percent of market shares in Canada. If it wants to meet the new goal of 5 percent market share in Canada, the company will need to sell 10 million vehicles globally in the next five years.
One of the key determinants for the company's growth is its new plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It produced mid-sized utility crossroad vehicle, Passat sedan car and increased its production last July by adding more workers within a year after it opened.
The Chattanooga production plant helped the company reduce the price of Passat car which was earlier imported from Europe.
"We've been able to reposition the brand from a pricing perspective to make it more affordable," said White.
John White is moving to Volkswagen Group Australia as managing director from April 1. He leaves a good record of increased sales for five consecutive years since he was in Canada.
"I am excited about my upcoming move to our growing Australian operation," said White. "Our continued success in Canada is the result of the strength of our brands, coupled with a very dedicated Dealer body, and I'm confident that under Maria Stenstrom's leadership the Brands will continue their solid growth."
"This is a wonderful opportunity, and I trust that my experience will help further develop the Volkswagen Group in Canada," said Stenstrom.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage