Volkswagen Aims For Higher Market Share In Canada
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 19, 2013 8:31 PM EST
Volkswagen Canada has improved its sales in the tough market over the past five years. But John White, president of Volkswagen Canada, has an ambitious goal for the next five years - to increase its share in the market nearly by 40 percent.
Volkswagen is aiming to be the most prestigious brand in Canada. "We want to be the most aspirational volume automotive brand in Canada," White said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.
Last year, the company had 3.5 percent of market shares in Canada. If it wants to meet the new goal of 5 percent market share in Canada, the company will need to sell 10 million vehicles globally in the next five years.
One of the key determinants for the company's growth is its new plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It produced mid-sized utility crossroad vehicle, Passat sedan car and increased its production last July by adding more workers within a year after it opened.
The Chattanooga production plant helped the company reduce the price of Passat car which was earlier imported from Europe.
"We've been able to reposition the brand from a pricing perspective to make it more affordable," said White.
John White is moving to Volkswagen Group Australia as managing director from April 1. He leaves a good record of increased sales for five consecutive years since he was in Canada.
"I am excited about my upcoming move to our growing Australian operation," said White. "Our continued success in Canada is the result of the strength of our brands, coupled with a very dedicated Dealer body, and I'm confident that under Maria Stenstrom's leadership the Brands will continue their solid growth."
"This is a wonderful opportunity, and I trust that my experience will help further develop the Volkswagen Group in Canada," said Stenstrom.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS