Volkswagen Aims For Higher Market Share In Canada
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 19, 2013 8:31 PM EST
Volkswagen Canada has improved its sales in the tough market over the past five years. But John White, president of Volkswagen Canada, has an ambitious goal for the next five years - to increase its share in the market nearly by 40 percent.
Volkswagen is aiming to be the most prestigious brand in Canada. "We want to be the most aspirational volume automotive brand in Canada," White said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.
Last year, the company had 3.5 percent of market shares in Canada. If it wants to meet the new goal of 5 percent market share in Canada, the company will need to sell 10 million vehicles globally in the next five years.
One of the key determinants for the company's growth is its new plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It produced mid-sized utility crossroad vehicle, Passat sedan car and increased its production last July by adding more workers within a year after it opened.
The Chattanooga production plant helped the company reduce the price of Passat car which was earlier imported from Europe.
"We've been able to reposition the brand from a pricing perspective to make it more affordable," said White.
John White is moving to Volkswagen Group Australia as managing director from April 1. He leaves a good record of increased sales for five consecutive years since he was in Canada.
"I am excited about my upcoming move to our growing Australian operation," said White. "Our continued success in Canada is the result of the strength of our brands, coupled with a very dedicated Dealer body, and I'm confident that under Maria Stenstrom's leadership the Brands will continue their solid growth."
"This is a wonderful opportunity, and I trust that my experience will help further develop the Volkswagen Group in Canada," said Stenstrom.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy