Volkswagen Aims For Higher Market Share In Canada
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 19, 2013 8:31 PM EST
Volkswagen Canada has improved its sales in the tough market over the past five years. But John White, president of Volkswagen Canada, has an ambitious goal for the next five years - to increase its share in the market nearly by 40 percent.
Volkswagen is aiming to be the most prestigious brand in Canada. "We want to be the most aspirational volume automotive brand in Canada," White said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.
Last year, the company had 3.5 percent of market shares in Canada. If it wants to meet the new goal of 5 percent market share in Canada, the company will need to sell 10 million vehicles globally in the next five years.
One of the key determinants for the company's growth is its new plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It produced mid-sized utility crossroad vehicle, Passat sedan car and increased its production last July by adding more workers within a year after it opened.
The Chattanooga production plant helped the company reduce the price of Passat car which was earlier imported from Europe.
"We've been able to reposition the brand from a pricing perspective to make it more affordable," said White.
John White is moving to Volkswagen Group Australia as managing director from April 1. He leaves a good record of increased sales for five consecutive years since he was in Canada.
"I am excited about my upcoming move to our growing Australian operation," said White. "Our continued success in Canada is the result of the strength of our brands, coupled with a very dedicated Dealer body, and I'm confident that under Maria Stenstrom's leadership the Brands will continue their solid growth."
"This is a wonderful opportunity, and I trust that my experience will help further develop the Volkswagen Group in Canada," said Stenstrom.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]