Volkswagen Aims For Higher Market Share In Canada
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 19, 2013 8:31 PM EST
Volkswagen Canada has improved its sales in the tough market over the past five years. But John White, president of Volkswagen Canada, has an ambitious goal for the next five years - to increase its share in the market nearly by 40 percent.
Volkswagen is aiming to be the most prestigious brand in Canada. "We want to be the most aspirational volume automotive brand in Canada," White said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.
Last year, the company had 3.5 percent of market shares in Canada. If it wants to meet the new goal of 5 percent market share in Canada, the company will need to sell 10 million vehicles globally in the next five years.
One of the key determinants for the company's growth is its new plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It produced mid-sized utility crossroad vehicle, Passat sedan car and increased its production last July by adding more workers within a year after it opened.
The Chattanooga production plant helped the company reduce the price of Passat car which was earlier imported from Europe.
"We've been able to reposition the brand from a pricing perspective to make it more affordable," said White.
John White is moving to Volkswagen Group Australia as managing director from April 1. He leaves a good record of increased sales for five consecutive years since he was in Canada.
"I am excited about my upcoming move to our growing Australian operation," said White. "Our continued success in Canada is the result of the strength of our brands, coupled with a very dedicated Dealer body, and I'm confident that under Maria Stenstrom's leadership the Brands will continue their solid growth."
"This is a wonderful opportunity, and I trust that my experience will help further develop the Volkswagen Group in Canada," said Stenstrom.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown