Wenger Fuels Speculation Regarding His Arsenal Future
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 8:10 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has lashed out at Arsenal's critics and hinted that he might consider leaving the club before the end of his contract.
The French tactician, whose current deal runs tills in 2014, also stated he had rejected several offers from other clubs to remain with the Gunners. The 63-year-old has been receiving heavy criticism from fans and pundits of late, following Arsenal's exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.
"I am sure you would miss me when I am gone. I am not sure you are interested. When we lost at home to Blackburn I am not sure you are worried. My contract ends in 2014. I will have completed 30 years without interruption at top level; football demands a lot of commitment - I may not be quality, but commitment for sure. I think I have shown my commitment to this club and one day I will give you the list I have not signed for and you will see that I am committed to this club," Wenger told the Daily Mirror.
Arsenal face Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday. The Gunners manager admits his side enter this game as underdogs but is looking for an upset against the Bundesliga leaders.
"We are underdogs, yes of course. You just have to read the English press and you understand that. But tomorrow we play a big football game and people can focus on that. This game is massive for us. Not because of what happened on Saturday against Blackburn but because we started the season with a lot of scepticism, I think we have made improvements and it would be nice for us to continue with this improvement until the end of the season," the Frenchman added.
The north London club are currently experiencing yet another disappointing season and the Gunners hierarchy are reportedly set to hand the Frenchman a £70m transfer kitty to strengthen the squad in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga