Wenger Fuels Speculation Regarding His Arsenal Future
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 8:10 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has lashed out at Arsenal's critics and hinted that he might consider leaving the club before the end of his contract.
The French tactician, whose current deal runs tills in 2014, also stated he had rejected several offers from other clubs to remain with the Gunners. The 63-year-old has been receiving heavy criticism from fans and pundits of late, following Arsenal's exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.
"I am sure you would miss me when I am gone. I am not sure you are interested. When we lost at home to Blackburn I am not sure you are worried. My contract ends in 2014. I will have completed 30 years without interruption at top level; football demands a lot of commitment - I may not be quality, but commitment for sure. I think I have shown my commitment to this club and one day I will give you the list I have not signed for and you will see that I am committed to this club," Wenger told the Daily Mirror.
Arsenal face Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday. The Gunners manager admits his side enter this game as underdogs but is looking for an upset against the Bundesliga leaders.
"We are underdogs, yes of course. You just have to read the English press and you understand that. But tomorrow we play a big football game and people can focus on that. This game is massive for us. Not because of what happened on Saturday against Blackburn but because we started the season with a lot of scepticism, I think we have made improvements and it would be nice for us to continue with this improvement until the end of the season," the Frenchman added.
The north London club are currently experiencing yet another disappointing season and the Gunners hierarchy are reportedly set to hand the Frenchman a £70m transfer kitty to strengthen the squad in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand