Wenger Fuels Speculation Regarding His Arsenal Future
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 8:10 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has lashed out at Arsenal's critics and hinted that he might consider leaving the club before the end of his contract.
The French tactician, whose current deal runs tills in 2014, also stated he had rejected several offers from other clubs to remain with the Gunners. The 63-year-old has been receiving heavy criticism from fans and pundits of late, following Arsenal's exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.
"I am sure you would miss me when I am gone. I am not sure you are interested. When we lost at home to Blackburn I am not sure you are worried. My contract ends in 2014. I will have completed 30 years without interruption at top level; football demands a lot of commitment - I may not be quality, but commitment for sure. I think I have shown my commitment to this club and one day I will give you the list I have not signed for and you will see that I am committed to this club," Wenger told the Daily Mirror.
Arsenal face Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday. The Gunners manager admits his side enter this game as underdogs but is looking for an upset against the Bundesliga leaders.
"We are underdogs, yes of course. You just have to read the English press and you understand that. But tomorrow we play a big football game and people can focus on that. This game is massive for us. Not because of what happened on Saturday against Blackburn but because we started the season with a lot of scepticism, I think we have made improvements and it would be nice for us to continue with this improvement until the end of the season," the Frenchman added.
The north London club are currently experiencing yet another disappointing season and the Gunners hierarchy are reportedly set to hand the Frenchman a £70m transfer kitty to strengthen the squad in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast