Wenger Fuels Speculation Regarding His Arsenal Future
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 8:10 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has lashed out at Arsenal's critics and hinted that he might consider leaving the club before the end of his contract.
The French tactician, whose current deal runs tills in 2014, also stated he had rejected several offers from other clubs to remain with the Gunners. The 63-year-old has been receiving heavy criticism from fans and pundits of late, following Arsenal's exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.
"I am sure you would miss me when I am gone. I am not sure you are interested. When we lost at home to Blackburn I am not sure you are worried. My contract ends in 2014. I will have completed 30 years without interruption at top level; football demands a lot of commitment - I may not be quality, but commitment for sure. I think I have shown my commitment to this club and one day I will give you the list I have not signed for and you will see that I am committed to this club," Wenger told the Daily Mirror.
Arsenal face Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday. The Gunners manager admits his side enter this game as underdogs but is looking for an upset against the Bundesliga leaders.
"We are underdogs, yes of course. You just have to read the English press and you understand that. But tomorrow we play a big football game and people can focus on that. This game is massive for us. Not because of what happened on Saturday against Blackburn but because we started the season with a lot of scepticism, I think we have made improvements and it would be nice for us to continue with this improvement until the end of the season," the Frenchman added.
The north London club are currently experiencing yet another disappointing season and the Gunners hierarchy are reportedly set to hand the Frenchman a £70m transfer kitty to strengthen the squad in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet