Wenger Fuels Speculation Regarding His Arsenal Future
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 8:10 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has lashed out at Arsenal's critics and hinted that he might consider leaving the club before the end of his contract.
The French tactician, whose current deal runs tills in 2014, also stated he had rejected several offers from other clubs to remain with the Gunners. The 63-year-old has been receiving heavy criticism from fans and pundits of late, following Arsenal's exit from the FA Cup at the hands of Blackburn Rovers at the weekend.
"I am sure you would miss me when I am gone. I am not sure you are interested. When we lost at home to Blackburn I am not sure you are worried. My contract ends in 2014. I will have completed 30 years without interruption at top level; football demands a lot of commitment - I may not be quality, but commitment for sure. I think I have shown my commitment to this club and one day I will give you the list I have not signed for and you will see that I am committed to this club," Wenger told the Daily Mirror.
Arsenal face Bayern Munich in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday. The Gunners manager admits his side enter this game as underdogs but is looking for an upset against the Bundesliga leaders.
"We are underdogs, yes of course. You just have to read the English press and you understand that. But tomorrow we play a big football game and people can focus on that. This game is massive for us. Not because of what happened on Saturday against Blackburn but because we started the season with a lot of scepticism, I think we have made improvements and it would be nice for us to continue with this improvement until the end of the season," the Frenchman added.
The north London club are currently experiencing yet another disappointing season and the Gunners hierarchy are reportedly set to hand the Frenchman a £70m transfer kitty to strengthen the squad in the summer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS