Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android
4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean Firmware [GUIDE]
Galaxy S2 I9100 users, who have already updated their device with the newly released official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean firmware, can now root their device with Siyah Kernel using this guide. The rooting method employed in this guide makes use of ODIN flash tool, and hence does not require ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery to be installed on the device.
NOTE: Once Siyah kernel is flashed with ODIN, it will automatically install CWM recovery on the phone granting root access to the device (which was lost after installing the official firmware). Regaining root access or full system access will enable the user to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks on phone.
Key Points to Note
- Rooting software and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy S2 on the computer (download USB drivers).
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of current phone setup. Avoid using Samsung KIES or ROM manager for data backup, as they lack flexible options.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during the official firmware installation.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held liable for damages during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean Firmware
Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean Firmware [GUIDE]
Step 1 - Download Siyah Root Kernel I9100XXMS1 for Galaxy S2 on the computer.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to root Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 official firmware on the phone.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it when the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes turns yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may take some time. So, do not interrupt the process.
Step 6 - Now, choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the downloaded files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file 'Siyah-s2-v6.0b4.tar'.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
Step 8 - Now, hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from the computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 is now rooted on official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean firmware. Check for the Superuser app in apps list to verify if the root installation is successful. To double-check if the root is working correctly, download and install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide: Galaxy S2 I9100 Receives Official Android 4.1.2 XXMS1 Jelly Bean OTA Firmware [How to Install]
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: