Infineon gets nod for power chips on large wafers
February 19, 2013 7:42 PM EST
Germany's Infineon has got the go-ahead from customers to become the world's first chipmaker to produce power chips on large, 300 mm (12 inch) thin wafers, it said.
The larger, thinner wafers mean higher margins as two-and-a-half times as many chips can be made from a single wafer as from the 200 mm wafers currently used for power chips, and less of the raw material silicon is needed, the company said on Tuesday.
Infineon is investing about 255 million euros ($340 million)in the technology at its plants in Villach, Austria and Dresden, Germany - where it plans volume production.
The company, which said last month it believed the cyclical chip market had bottomed out, did not name the customers or give a schedule for ramping up commercial production.
Infineon last month forecast a rise in second-quarter sales and operating profit as carmakers started to restock after running down inventories, although the industry that accounts for almost half of Infineon's sales is still battling a slump.
The power chips to be made in Dresden are used to control electrical current and have a variety of applications from power generation to consumer electronics. ($1 = 0.7490 euros)
(Reporting by Georgina Prodhan; Editing by Helen Massy-Beresford)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 New Release Imminent as Apple Enters Mid-August Production with New 24-Karat Gold iPhone 6
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects