Flurry Cites Why U.S.Now Lagging Behind China as Biggest Market for Smartphone, Tablet Devices
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 19, 2013 7:01 PM EST
China has bested the United States of America to now become the world's biggest market for smartphone and tablet devices, a no mean feat since it is by far the world's most populous country.
In a report published on Tuesday, analytics firm San Francisco-based Flurry said that in January 2013 alone, the two top global economic leaders is already in a neck-to-neck race as to the number of active smart devices installed base, 222 million in the U.S. versus 221 million in China.
But Flurry forecasted the Asian country will easily dominate the world market by end February 2013, where China will have already 246 million devices compared to 230 million in the U.S.
And it would take quite sometime before the U.S. gets to retrieve its crown as China will surely be aided with its ever multiplying population. To date,China has over 1.3 billion people compared with the U.S. which has only just over 310 million.
Should China be outstripped from the top seat, Flurry said it would be India which can do this, which has a population of over 1.2 billion. Still, the research firm said this could still take a few years since active smart devices in India only number at 19 million presently.
China ranked among the top 10 fastest growing Android/iOS markets. With a 209 per cent growth increase year-over-year, it is number six in growth rate. Colombia and Vietnam topped the list at 287 and 266 per cent growth, respectively.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Too Much Blow for Mourning Families as Rebels Steal Bodies; Complete Passenger. Crew List Released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russia’s Putin World’s Getting Small, Pitted Against Global Leaders
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- How to Deal With Slackers at the Office
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People