Flurry Cites Why U.S.Now Lagging Behind China as Biggest Market for Smartphone, Tablet Devices
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 19, 2013 7:01 PM EST
China has bested the United States of America to now become the world's biggest market for smartphone and tablet devices, a no mean feat since it is by far the world's most populous country.
In a report published on Tuesday, analytics firm San Francisco-based Flurry said that in January 2013 alone, the two top global economic leaders is already in a neck-to-neck race as to the number of active smart devices installed base, 222 million in the U.S. versus 221 million in China.
But Flurry forecasted the Asian country will easily dominate the world market by end February 2013, where China will have already 246 million devices compared to 230 million in the U.S.
And it would take quite sometime before the U.S. gets to retrieve its crown as China will surely be aided with its ever multiplying population. To date,China has over 1.3 billion people compared with the U.S. which has only just over 310 million.
Should China be outstripped from the top seat, Flurry said it would be India which can do this, which has a population of over 1.2 billion. Still, the research firm said this could still take a few years since active smart devices in India only number at 19 million presently.
China ranked among the top 10 fastest growing Android/iOS markets. With a 209 per cent growth increase year-over-year, it is number six in growth rate. Colombia and Vietnam topped the list at 287 and 266 per cent growth, respectively.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones