Flurry Cites Why U.S.Now Lagging Behind China as Biggest Market for Smartphone, Tablet Devices
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 19, 2013 7:01 PM EST
China has bested the United States of America to now become the world's biggest market for smartphone and tablet devices, a no mean feat since it is by far the world's most populous country.
In a report published on Tuesday, analytics firm San Francisco-based Flurry said that in January 2013 alone, the two top global economic leaders is already in a neck-to-neck race as to the number of active smart devices installed base, 222 million in the U.S. versus 221 million in China.
But Flurry forecasted the Asian country will easily dominate the world market by end February 2013, where China will have already 246 million devices compared to 230 million in the U.S.
And it would take quite sometime before the U.S. gets to retrieve its crown as China will surely be aided with its ever multiplying population. To date,China has over 1.3 billion people compared with the U.S. which has only just over 310 million.
Should China be outstripped from the top seat, Flurry said it would be India which can do this, which has a population of over 1.2 billion. Still, the research firm said this could still take a few years since active smart devices in India only number at 19 million presently.
China ranked among the top 10 fastest growing Android/iOS markets. With a 209 per cent growth increase year-over-year, it is number six in growth rate. Colombia and Vietnam topped the list at 287 and 266 per cent growth, respectively.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics