Flurry Cites Why U.S.Now Lagging Behind China as Biggest Market for Smartphone, Tablet Devices
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 19, 2013 7:01 PM EST
China has bested the United States of America to now become the world's biggest market for smartphone and tablet devices, a no mean feat since it is by far the world's most populous country.
In a report published on Tuesday, analytics firm San Francisco-based Flurry said that in January 2013 alone, the two top global economic leaders is already in a neck-to-neck race as to the number of active smart devices installed base, 222 million in the U.S. versus 221 million in China.
But Flurry forecasted the Asian country will easily dominate the world market by end February 2013, where China will have already 246 million devices compared to 230 million in the U.S.
And it would take quite sometime before the U.S. gets to retrieve its crown as China will surely be aided with its ever multiplying population. To date,China has over 1.3 billion people compared with the U.S. which has only just over 310 million.
Should China be outstripped from the top seat, Flurry said it would be India which can do this, which has a population of over 1.2 billion. Still, the research firm said this could still take a few years since active smart devices in India only number at 19 million presently.
China ranked among the top 10 fastest growing Android/iOS markets. With a 209 per cent growth increase year-over-year, it is number six in growth rate. Colombia and Vietnam topped the list at 287 and 266 per cent growth, respectively.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date