InterContinental Hotels Posts 11% Profits Rise On China, US Growth
By Martin Baccardax | February 19, 2013 6:21 PM EST
InterContinental Hotels Group posted an 11 percent rise in full-year profits after the world's largest hotel room provider saw better than expected growth in its key US operations.
Profit for the financial year ending in December was $614m (£396m/€460m), the company said in a statement published Tuesday on its website, an 11 percent increase from 2011. Group revenue rose 3.8 percent to $1.835m, the company said, while revenue for each available room, a key metric in the industry, rose to 5.2 percent worldwide and 6.3 percent in the United States.
"Our continued growth is based upon our unique close relationship with our hotel owners, who choose our brands and work with us to deliver great guest experiences," said CEO Richard Solomons in the statement.
"Our increasing scale and focus on reducing costs has allowed us to both reinvest in the business and achieve solid margin progression, resulting in double-digit profit and dividend growth."
Growth in China, the group said, outperformed industry peers thanks to revenue for each available room (RevPar) of 5.2 percent that helped produce a 21 percent operating profit from the world's fastest-growing economy. European RevPar increased 1.7 percent across the board, with 2.5 percent growth in the United Kingdom, the company said.
InterContinental Hotels, which owns the Holiday Inn brand, said it opened a hotel every 39 hours last year, adding 226 new hotels and 34,000 new rooms, taking the global total to 4,602 and 676,000 respectively.
InterContinental Hotels shares fell 2.6 percent in the opening minutes of London trading to change hands at 1,931 pence each.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date