Victoria Azarenka Beats Serena Williams on Qatar Total Open Final
By Czarina Malleta | February 19, 2013 3:42 PM EST
It's a game between a rookie and a veteran. While most people are betting their money on Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka proved that she is equally as good.
Serena Williams may have the number one ranking but Victoria Azarenka has the trophy for the Qatar Open Final for two consecutive years.
Two of the best female tennis players in the world battled it out on Sunday with the Belarusian winning with 7-6, 2-6, 6-3 on the scoreboard. Although Williams, who defeated Azarenka in nine straight times had a commanding margin, Victoria finally found her way to end her losing streak against the Grand Slam champion.
In the end when it looks like Williams seized the game for a win, Azarenka came in with a 3-0 lead on the board and held serve the rest of the way to secure her victory.
"I just fought and gave it my all. I knew I had to step it up to beat Serena. I was able to stay focused," Azarenka said. "It feels incredible. This tournament had such a strong field going into it and I'm really glad that at the end of the week, I'm the one who is holding the trophy."
Meanwhile, in defense to her defeat, Williams said that she made too many errors during the game. She added that it was one of those "bad days."
"I made so many errors. It was just weird. My serve, it was just one of those days," Williams explained. "This whole week I don't think I played my best tennis. I was fighting every match."
With regards to Victoria Azarenka, who is still considered a rookie by some, Serena shared a few good words about the young tennis player.
"I always respect Victoria. I think she is a really good player. She is so consistent," Williams said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports