Victoria Azarenka Beats Serena Williams on Qatar Total Open Final
By Czarina Malleta | February 19, 2013 3:42 PM EST
It's a game between a rookie and a veteran. While most people are betting their money on Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka proved that she is equally as good.
Serena Williams may have the number one ranking but Victoria Azarenka has the trophy for the Qatar Open Final for two consecutive years.
Two of the best female tennis players in the world battled it out on Sunday with the Belarusian winning with 7-6, 2-6, 6-3 on the scoreboard. Although Williams, who defeated Azarenka in nine straight times had a commanding margin, Victoria finally found her way to end her losing streak against the Grand Slam champion.
In the end when it looks like Williams seized the game for a win, Azarenka came in with a 3-0 lead on the board and held serve the rest of the way to secure her victory.
"I just fought and gave it my all. I knew I had to step it up to beat Serena. I was able to stay focused," Azarenka said. "It feels incredible. This tournament had such a strong field going into it and I'm really glad that at the end of the week, I'm the one who is holding the trophy."
Meanwhile, in defense to her defeat, Williams said that she made too many errors during the game. She added that it was one of those "bad days."
"I made so many errors. It was just weird. My serve, it was just one of those days," Williams explained. "This whole week I don't think I played my best tennis. I was fighting every match."
With regards to Victoria Azarenka, who is still considered a rookie by some, Serena shared a few good words about the young tennis player.
"I always respect Victoria. I think she is a really good player. She is so consistent," Williams said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown