Victoria Azarenka Beats Serena Williams on Qatar Total Open Final
By Czarina Malleta | February 19, 2013 3:42 PM EST
It's a game between a rookie and a veteran. While most people are betting their money on Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka proved that she is equally as good.
Serena Williams may have the number one ranking but Victoria Azarenka has the trophy for the Qatar Open Final for two consecutive years.
Two of the best female tennis players in the world battled it out on Sunday with the Belarusian winning with 7-6, 2-6, 6-3 on the scoreboard. Although Williams, who defeated Azarenka in nine straight times had a commanding margin, Victoria finally found her way to end her losing streak against the Grand Slam champion.
In the end when it looks like Williams seized the game for a win, Azarenka came in with a 3-0 lead on the board and held serve the rest of the way to secure her victory.
"I just fought and gave it my all. I knew I had to step it up to beat Serena. I was able to stay focused," Azarenka said. "It feels incredible. This tournament had such a strong field going into it and I'm really glad that at the end of the week, I'm the one who is holding the trophy."
Meanwhile, in defense to her defeat, Williams said that she made too many errors during the game. She added that it was one of those "bad days."
"I made so many errors. It was just weird. My serve, it was just one of those days," Williams explained. "This whole week I don't think I played my best tennis. I was fighting every match."
With regards to Victoria Azarenka, who is still considered a rookie by some, Serena shared a few good words about the young tennis player.
"I always respect Victoria. I think she is a really good player. She is so consistent," Williams said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate