Facebook Campaign Leads to Safe Recovery of Diabetic Brisbane Teenager
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 19, 2013 2:50 PM EST
Facebook could be such a pain in the ass at times, but one can never belittle its efficiency and effectiveness when it comes to helping people locate missing loved ones. And again, for the nth time, the social networking media site has been the most helpful tool in the safe recovery of a diabetic Brisbane teenager who went missing two days ago.
Thirteen-year-old Connaire Daniels, who was ironically found at a house just some 20km from home, left their Salisbury home on Sunday at 11.30am to meet up with friends at South Bank. He told his parents he would catch a train going there.
Unfortunately, the young lad has no mobile phone so the possibility to check on his whereabouts was a hundred percent impossible.
And then he didn't return home that Sunday night.
Apparently, he was just holed up in a friend's house all throughout while his family searched high and low for him. His sister eventually turned to Facebook and another social site, Twitter, to ask for assistance. At 10.30pm on Monday, Connaire was found - safe, breathing and very much alive.
His family immediately panicked not only for his safety but also for his health. Connaire was a diabetic.
"You think okay, he's missed the train. I got in the car and went for a drive and couldn't find him," his mother, Margaret Daniels, told ABC.
What got Mrs Daniels all the more worried because she feared her son mught end up just like another Daniel Morcombe case.
"You just start thinking, unfortunately, all the worst. Daniel Morcombe comes into your mind because he was 13 as well," she said.
Daniel was a 13-year-old Australian boy abducted from Sunshine Coast on Dec 7, 2003. He planned to catch the 1:35 pm bus to the Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre for a haircut and to buy Christmas presents for his family, but failed to return. Investigation related to his death is still ongoing.
"He left, went to South Bank, to meet with some friends, but a couple of them didn't turn up."
He must have probably decided to return home, boarded a train but wrongly ended on the Cleveland line.
"It just went horribly wrong from there," Mrs Daniels said. "We haven't really spoken to him too much, but we believe he spent the night in a house."
She is very much relieved now to see her son. But it seems Connaire isn't totally off the hook yet.
"He was sad and sorry for himself, we thought 'you're home, get to bed and we will talk about it in the morning'."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28