Facebook Campaign Leads to Safe Recovery of Diabetic Brisbane Teenager
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 19, 2013 2:50 PM EST
Facebook could be such a pain in the ass at times, but one can never belittle its efficiency and effectiveness when it comes to helping people locate missing loved ones. And again, for the nth time, the social networking media site has been the most helpful tool in the safe recovery of a diabetic Brisbane teenager who went missing two days ago.
Thirteen-year-old Connaire Daniels, who was ironically found at a house just some 20km from home, left their Salisbury home on Sunday at 11.30am to meet up with friends at South Bank. He told his parents he would catch a train going there.
Unfortunately, the young lad has no mobile phone so the possibility to check on his whereabouts was a hundred percent impossible.
And then he didn't return home that Sunday night.
Apparently, he was just holed up in a friend's house all throughout while his family searched high and low for him. His sister eventually turned to Facebook and another social site, Twitter, to ask for assistance. At 10.30pm on Monday, Connaire was found - safe, breathing and very much alive.
His family immediately panicked not only for his safety but also for his health. Connaire was a diabetic.
"You think okay, he's missed the train. I got in the car and went for a drive and couldn't find him," his mother, Margaret Daniels, told ABC.
What got Mrs Daniels all the more worried because she feared her son mught end up just like another Daniel Morcombe case.
"You just start thinking, unfortunately, all the worst. Daniel Morcombe comes into your mind because he was 13 as well," she said.
Daniel was a 13-year-old Australian boy abducted from Sunshine Coast on Dec 7, 2003. He planned to catch the 1:35 pm bus to the Sunshine Plaza Shopping Centre for a haircut and to buy Christmas presents for his family, but failed to return. Investigation related to his death is still ongoing.
"He left, went to South Bank, to meet with some friends, but a couple of them didn't turn up."
He must have probably decided to return home, boarded a train but wrongly ended on the Cleveland line.
"It just went horribly wrong from there," Mrs Daniels said. "We haven't really spoken to him too much, but we believe he spent the night in a house."
She is very much relieved now to see her son. But it seems Connaire isn't totally off the hook yet.
"He was sad and sorry for himself, we thought 'you're home, get to bed and we will talk about it in the morning'."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- Xbox One VS. PS4 At PAX Prime 2014:18 Games On Sale And A Lineup Of Xbox Games Revealed
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0