NFL Player Da'Quan Bowers Arrested In NY For Carrying Loaded Handgun In Luggage At LaGuardia Airport
By Charles Poladian | February 19, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was arrested Monday in New York on charges of carrying a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage at LaGuardia Airport. Bowers is currently in police custody and awaiting arraignment.
The 22-year-old NFL player starred at Clemson University, winning the Bronko Nagurski award for best defensive player in 2010, before being drafted in the second round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bowers about to board a plane headed to Raleigh, N.C., before authorities searched his carry-ons and discover a loaded .40-caliber gun inside, reports The Associated Press.
Bowers was arrested and will be facing criminal possession of weapon charges in Criminal Court, notes AP. Bowers has not commented, while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization and the NFL have stated they are reviewing the matter. Bowers could be facing jail time and, according to USA Today, the reason for that is another NFL player, Plaxico Burress.
Meris Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Queens County District Attorney’s office, confirmed to USA Today that Bowers will be charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree. That’s the same crime that former New York Giants and New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress was charged with and ultimately served two years in prison for. In Burress’ case, the wideout was carrying a gun inside a nightclub, tucked into his jeans, before accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the thigh. The minimum sentence for the charge is three and a half years, notes USA Today.
Bowers informed officials that he was carrying a gun at LaGuardia Airport, notes Campbell. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday evening, notes USA Today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’