NFL Player Da'Quan Bowers Arrested In NY For Carrying Loaded Handgun In Luggage At LaGuardia Airport
By Charles Poladian | February 19, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was arrested Monday in New York on charges of carrying a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage at LaGuardia Airport. Bowers is currently in police custody and awaiting arraignment.
The 22-year-old NFL player starred at Clemson University, winning the Bronko Nagurski award for best defensive player in 2010, before being drafted in the second round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bowers about to board a plane headed to Raleigh, N.C., before authorities searched his carry-ons and discover a loaded .40-caliber gun inside, reports The Associated Press.
Bowers was arrested and will be facing criminal possession of weapon charges in Criminal Court, notes AP. Bowers has not commented, while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization and the NFL have stated they are reviewing the matter. Bowers could be facing jail time and, according to USA Today, the reason for that is another NFL player, Plaxico Burress.
Meris Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Queens County District Attorney’s office, confirmed to USA Today that Bowers will be charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree. That’s the same crime that former New York Giants and New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress was charged with and ultimately served two years in prison for. In Burress’ case, the wideout was carrying a gun inside a nightclub, tucked into his jeans, before accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the thigh. The minimum sentence for the charge is three and a half years, notes USA Today.
Bowers informed officials that he was carrying a gun at LaGuardia Airport, notes Campbell. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday evening, notes USA Today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- DeMarcus Cousins, Omar Casspi Lift Undermanned Sacramento Kings Over New Orleans Pelicans, 99-89
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast