NFL Player Da'Quan Bowers Arrested In NY For Carrying Loaded Handgun In Luggage At LaGuardia Airport
By Charles Poladian | February 19, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was arrested Monday in New York on charges of carrying a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage at LaGuardia Airport. Bowers is currently in police custody and awaiting arraignment.
The 22-year-old NFL player starred at Clemson University, winning the Bronko Nagurski award for best defensive player in 2010, before being drafted in the second round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bowers about to board a plane headed to Raleigh, N.C., before authorities searched his carry-ons and discover a loaded .40-caliber gun inside, reports The Associated Press.
Bowers was arrested and will be facing criminal possession of weapon charges in Criminal Court, notes AP. Bowers has not commented, while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization and the NFL have stated they are reviewing the matter. Bowers could be facing jail time and, according to USA Today, the reason for that is another NFL player, Plaxico Burress.
Meris Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Queens County District Attorney’s office, confirmed to USA Today that Bowers will be charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree. That’s the same crime that former New York Giants and New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress was charged with and ultimately served two years in prison for. In Burress’ case, the wideout was carrying a gun inside a nightclub, tucked into his jeans, before accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the thigh. The minimum sentence for the charge is three and a half years, notes USA Today.
Bowers informed officials that he was carrying a gun at LaGuardia Airport, notes Campbell. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday evening, notes USA Today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World