NFL Player Da'Quan Bowers Arrested In NY For Carrying Loaded Handgun In Luggage At LaGuardia Airport
By Charles Poladian | February 19, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was arrested Monday in New York on charges of carrying a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage at LaGuardia Airport. Bowers is currently in police custody and awaiting arraignment.
The 22-year-old NFL player starred at Clemson University, winning the Bronko Nagurski award for best defensive player in 2010, before being drafted in the second round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bowers about to board a plane headed to Raleigh, N.C., before authorities searched his carry-ons and discover a loaded .40-caliber gun inside, reports The Associated Press.
Bowers was arrested and will be facing criminal possession of weapon charges in Criminal Court, notes AP. Bowers has not commented, while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization and the NFL have stated they are reviewing the matter. Bowers could be facing jail time and, according to USA Today, the reason for that is another NFL player, Plaxico Burress.
Meris Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Queens County District Attorney’s office, confirmed to USA Today that Bowers will be charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree. That’s the same crime that former New York Giants and New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress was charged with and ultimately served two years in prison for. In Burress’ case, the wideout was carrying a gun inside a nightclub, tucked into his jeans, before accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the thigh. The minimum sentence for the charge is three and a half years, notes USA Today.
Bowers informed officials that he was carrying a gun at LaGuardia Airport, notes Campbell. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday evening, notes USA Today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia