NFL Player Da'Quan Bowers Arrested In NY For Carrying Loaded Handgun In Luggage At LaGuardia Airport
By Charles Poladian | February 19, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was arrested Monday in New York on charges of carrying a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage at LaGuardia Airport. Bowers is currently in police custody and awaiting arraignment.
The 22-year-old NFL player starred at Clemson University, winning the Bronko Nagurski award for best defensive player in 2010, before being drafted in the second round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bowers about to board a plane headed to Raleigh, N.C., before authorities searched his carry-ons and discover a loaded .40-caliber gun inside, reports The Associated Press.
Bowers was arrested and will be facing criminal possession of weapon charges in Criminal Court, notes AP. Bowers has not commented, while the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization and the NFL have stated they are reviewing the matter. Bowers could be facing jail time and, according to USA Today, the reason for that is another NFL player, Plaxico Burress.
Meris Campbell, a spokeswoman for the Queens County District Attorney’s office, confirmed to USA Today that Bowers will be charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon on the second degree. That’s the same crime that former New York Giants and New York Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress was charged with and ultimately served two years in prison for. In Burress’ case, the wideout was carrying a gun inside a nightclub, tucked into his jeans, before accidentally pulling the trigger and shooting himself in the thigh. The minimum sentence for the charge is three and a half years, notes USA Today.
Bowers informed officials that he was carrying a gun at LaGuardia Airport, notes Campbell. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday evening, notes USA Today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown