Apple iPad Mini 2 Release Date Consistent, 30% Price Increase Likely?
By Arlene Paredes | February 19, 2013 12:06 PM EST
iPad Mini 2 release date has been consistently pegged by analysts in the final quarter of the year, specifically in the month of October. Meanwhile, analysts are also saying the new small Apple tablet could be more expensive by 30 per cent.
iPad Mini 2 Release Date in Q4
A Brightwire report cited an unnamed source in Apple indicated an October launch for the much-anticipated iPad mini 2, which is expected to feature a stunning screen display.
The October estimate for the iPad mini 2 launch has so far been relatively consistent. It reconciles with the November release of the Apple small tablet last year. But analysts are predicting some kind of Apple event months ahead of the iPad mini unveiling. iPad 5 or the fifth generation of the full-sized iPad could see the light of day within the first half of 2013.
"We believe Apple could update the full-sized iPad to a body style similar to the iPad Mini. Additionally, we believe that the iPad Mini could get a Retina display, although that may happen later in the year given the supply constraints Apple faced on the Mini in the December quarter," analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray was quoted on AppleInsider.com.
iPad Mini 2 Price Tag to Jump 30%
iPad mini 2 is expected to have a dramatically improved screen display, possibly with Sharp's thin-but-tough IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology. This hikes the price of the new small iPad to about 30 per cent, according to a report.
The iPad mini currently starts at a suggested price of $329 for the Wi-Fi only edition. A Digitimes commentary reminded prospective buyers to expect a price hike. Upgrading the iPad mini's display while maintaining its slim and light figure will cost a bit more.
"If iPad mini adopts the Retina display, the dots per inch (DPI) will be higher and the brightness of the backlight modules will have to improve. This also means the number of LEDs used will [be more costly] by more than 30% if it is equipped with the 7.9-inch Retina panel," says the Digitimes report.
VIDEO: Nexus 7 vs iPad mini (PocketNowVideo)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66