Apple iPad Mini 2 Release Date Consistent, 30% Price Increase Likely?
By Arlene Paredes | February 19, 2013 12:06 PM EST
iPad Mini 2 release date has been consistently pegged by analysts in the final quarter of the year, specifically in the month of October. Meanwhile, analysts are also saying the new small Apple tablet could be more expensive by 30 per cent.
iPad Mini 2 Release Date in Q4
A Brightwire report cited an unnamed source in Apple indicated an October launch for the much-anticipated iPad mini 2, which is expected to feature a stunning screen display.
The October estimate for the iPad mini 2 launch has so far been relatively consistent. It reconciles with the November release of the Apple small tablet last year. But analysts are predicting some kind of Apple event months ahead of the iPad mini unveiling. iPad 5 or the fifth generation of the full-sized iPad could see the light of day within the first half of 2013.
"We believe Apple could update the full-sized iPad to a body style similar to the iPad Mini. Additionally, we believe that the iPad Mini could get a Retina display, although that may happen later in the year given the supply constraints Apple faced on the Mini in the December quarter," analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray was quoted on AppleInsider.com.
iPad Mini 2 Price Tag to Jump 30%
iPad mini 2 is expected to have a dramatically improved screen display, possibly with Sharp's thin-but-tough IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology. This hikes the price of the new small iPad to about 30 per cent, according to a report.
The iPad mini currently starts at a suggested price of $329 for the Wi-Fi only edition. A Digitimes commentary reminded prospective buyers to expect a price hike. Upgrading the iPad mini's display while maintaining its slim and light figure will cost a bit more.
"If iPad mini adopts the Retina display, the dots per inch (DPI) will be higher and the brightness of the backlight modules will have to improve. This also means the number of LEDs used will [be more costly] by more than 30% if it is equipped with the 7.9-inch Retina panel," says the Digitimes report.
VIDEO: Nexus 7 vs iPad mini (PocketNowVideo)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate