Apple iPad Mini 2 Release Date Consistent, 30% Price Increase Likely?
By Arlene Paredes | February 19, 2013 12:06 PM EST
iPad Mini 2 release date has been consistently pegged by analysts in the final quarter of the year, specifically in the month of October. Meanwhile, analysts are also saying the new small Apple tablet could be more expensive by 30 per cent.
iPad Mini 2 Release Date in Q4
A Brightwire report cited an unnamed source in Apple indicated an October launch for the much-anticipated iPad mini 2, which is expected to feature a stunning screen display.
The October estimate for the iPad mini 2 launch has so far been relatively consistent. It reconciles with the November release of the Apple small tablet last year. But analysts are predicting some kind of Apple event months ahead of the iPad mini unveiling. iPad 5 or the fifth generation of the full-sized iPad could see the light of day within the first half of 2013.
"We believe Apple could update the full-sized iPad to a body style similar to the iPad Mini. Additionally, we believe that the iPad Mini could get a Retina display, although that may happen later in the year given the supply constraints Apple faced on the Mini in the December quarter," analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray was quoted on AppleInsider.com.
iPad Mini 2 Price Tag to Jump 30%
iPad mini 2 is expected to have a dramatically improved screen display, possibly with Sharp's thin-but-tough IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology. This hikes the price of the new small iPad to about 30 per cent, according to a report.
The iPad mini currently starts at a suggested price of $329 for the Wi-Fi only edition. A Digitimes commentary reminded prospective buyers to expect a price hike. Upgrading the iPad mini's display while maintaining its slim and light figure will cost a bit more.
"If iPad mini adopts the Retina display, the dots per inch (DPI) will be higher and the brightness of the backlight modules will have to improve. This also means the number of LEDs used will [be more costly] by more than 30% if it is equipped with the 7.9-inch Retina panel," says the Digitimes report.
VIDEO: Nexus 7 vs iPad mini (PocketNowVideo)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage