Uranium Returns To Weakness
February 19, 2013 10:13 AM EST
By Andrew Nelson
Uranium trading was pretty steady last week, with six transactions reported and just under one million pounds changing hands. The problem for suppliers is that deals were transacted at progressively lower prices as the week progressed.
Utilities, traders, producers and financial entities were all active in the market, with industry consultant TradeTech noting that a fairly broad range of prices were seen depending on delivery locations and timing. Those sales involving immediate delivery were lower, while delivery for later in the year garnered higher prices.
When the dust settled, TradeTech's Weekly U308 Spot Price Indicator was set at US$43.00 per pound, down US$0.50 from the week prior.
The soft prices came as little surprise to commodities analysts at Commonwealth Bank ((CBA)), who suggest there is still too much supply in the uranium market. The bank has moved to lower its uranium price forecast by 9% in FY13, by 12% in FY14 and by 2% for FY15. The bank's new prices are US$45/lb, US$54/lb and US72/lb respectively.
There were signs of life in the term uranium market, with TradeTech reporting three transactions that saw less than 500,000 pounds change owners. The activity did little to change market dynamics, with TradeTech's Mid-Term price staying put at US$49.00 per pound.
There are still some active shoppers in the term market, but this has had no impact on TradeTech's Long-Term Indicator, which has stayed held firm at US$57.00 per pound.
Find out why FNArena subscribers like the service so much: "Your Feedback (Thank You)" - Warning this story contains unashamedly positive feedback on the service provided.
FN Arena is building the future of financial news reporting at www.fnarena.com . Our daily news reports can be trialed at no cost and with no obligations. Simply sign up and get a feel for what we are trying to achieve.
Subscribers and trialists should read our terms and conditions, available on the website.
All material published by FN Arena is the copyright of the publisher, unless otherwise stated. Reproduction in whole or in part is not permitted without written permission of the publisher.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29