Uranium Returns To Weakness
February 19, 2013 10:13 AM EST
By Andrew Nelson
Uranium trading was pretty steady last week, with six transactions reported and just under one million pounds changing hands. The problem for suppliers is that deals were transacted at progressively lower prices as the week progressed.
Utilities, traders, producers and financial entities were all active in the market, with industry consultant TradeTech noting that a fairly broad range of prices were seen depending on delivery locations and timing. Those sales involving immediate delivery were lower, while delivery for later in the year garnered higher prices.
When the dust settled, TradeTech's Weekly U308 Spot Price Indicator was set at US$43.00 per pound, down US$0.50 from the week prior.
The soft prices came as little surprise to commodities analysts at Commonwealth Bank ((CBA)), who suggest there is still too much supply in the uranium market. The bank has moved to lower its uranium price forecast by 9% in FY13, by 12% in FY14 and by 2% for FY15. The bank's new prices are US$45/lb, US$54/lb and US72/lb respectively.
There were signs of life in the term uranium market, with TradeTech reporting three transactions that saw less than 500,000 pounds change owners. The activity did little to change market dynamics, with TradeTech's Mid-Term price staying put at US$49.00 per pound.
There are still some active shoppers in the term market, but this has had no impact on TradeTech's Long-Term Indicator, which has stayed held firm at US$57.00 per pound.
Find out why FNArena subscribers like the service so much: "Your Feedback (Thank You)" - Warning this story contains unashamedly positive feedback on the service provided.
FN Arena is building the future of financial news reporting at www.fnarena.com . Our daily news reports can be trialed at no cost and with no obligations. Simply sign up and get a feel for what we are trying to achieve.
Subscribers and trialists should read our terms and conditions, available on the website.
All material published by FN Arena is the copyright of the publisher, unless otherwise stated. Reproduction in whole or in part is not permitted without written permission of the publisher.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones