Uranium Returns To Weakness
February 19, 2013 10:13 AM EST
By Andrew Nelson
Uranium trading was pretty steady last week, with six transactions reported and just under one million pounds changing hands. The problem for suppliers is that deals were transacted at progressively lower prices as the week progressed.
Utilities, traders, producers and financial entities were all active in the market, with industry consultant TradeTech noting that a fairly broad range of prices were seen depending on delivery locations and timing. Those sales involving immediate delivery were lower, while delivery for later in the year garnered higher prices.
When the dust settled, TradeTech's Weekly U308 Spot Price Indicator was set at US$43.00 per pound, down US$0.50 from the week prior.
The soft prices came as little surprise to commodities analysts at Commonwealth Bank ((CBA)), who suggest there is still too much supply in the uranium market. The bank has moved to lower its uranium price forecast by 9% in FY13, by 12% in FY14 and by 2% for FY15. The bank's new prices are US$45/lb, US$54/lb and US72/lb respectively.
There were signs of life in the term uranium market, with TradeTech reporting three transactions that saw less than 500,000 pounds change owners. The activity did little to change market dynamics, with TradeTech's Mid-Term price staying put at US$49.00 per pound.
There are still some active shoppers in the term market, but this has had no impact on TradeTech's Long-Term Indicator, which has stayed held firm at US$57.00 per pound.
Find out why FNArena subscribers like the service so much: "Your Feedback (Thank You)" - Warning this story contains unashamedly positive feedback on the service provided.
FN Arena is building the future of financial news reporting at www.fnarena.com . Our daily news reports can be trialed at no cost and with no obligations. Simply sign up and get a feel for what we are trying to achieve.
Subscribers and trialists should read our terms and conditions, available on the website.
All material published by FN Arena is the copyright of the publisher, unless otherwise stated. Reproduction in whole or in part is not permitted without written permission of the publisher.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate