Aussie Researchers Create Eye Cells Using Patient’s Skin Cells
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 19, 2013 9:58 AM EST
The Centre for Eye Research Australia in Melbourne is experimenting with the use of skin cells from patients with macular degeneration by turning them into stem cells to create new retinal cells.
The study aims to understand better the common but incurable form of blindness. Macular degeneration, which is age-related, caused by dying retinal cells, affects one in seven older Australians and cost the country's economy $5.15 billion yearly.
The skin cells are compared with the patient's damaged cells to allow the researchers to find more details of what went wrong.
"We know (with macular degeneration) that certain cells in the retina die, and so do the other cells that depend on them, but we need to know how and why," said Kathryn Davidson, a U.S. stem cell expert flown in from Seattle by the National Stem Cell Foundation of Australia, said on Monday at the charity's launch.
The technique was invented by Shinya Yamanaka and John Gurdon who were awarded in 2012 the Nobel Prize for Medicine.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Underwater Robotics Measures Thickness Of Antarctic Sea Ice
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments