Edmond de Rothschild to set up merchant banking unit in London - FT
February 19, 2013 9:14 AM EST
Private banking group Edmond de Rothschild is establishing a merchant banking business in London which is set to begin operations this spring, the Financial Times reported on Monday.
The company is currently in the process of hiring a team of senior advisers for the London operation, the financial daily said on its website, citing people close to the situation.
The unit - which was given the nod by the Financial Services Authority last month - would be led by former Hawkpoint Chief Executive Richard Briance and would not directly compete with NM Rothschild, the paper said.
However, the unit - which would be called Edmond de Rothschild Private Merchant Banking - would be looking at ways to work with Lord Jacob Rothschild's RIT Capital Partners
RIT and Edmond de Rothschild last year launched a joint venture to boost their fund management and investment operations.
Edmond de Rothschild could not immediately be reached for comment outside regular business hours.
Edmond de Rothschild is part of the Rothschild banking dynasty which has worked on some epochal deals during its history, including helping finance Britain's war against French military leader Napoleon.
(Reporting by Abhishek Takle in Bangalore)
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best