Office Depot, OfficeMax Merger: Office Supplies Retailers Reportedly In Talks To Merge
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 7:01 AM EST
The Wall Street Journal, which cites people familiar with the matter, says the two business supplies superstores are talking about joining forces to fight off long-time competitors Staples, Inc. (NYSE:SPLS) and Amazon.com, Inc. (Nasadaq:AMZN).
While specific details were not disclosed, a merger deal could potentially save the two struggling companies, which in recent years have lost market share to online rivals.
Florida-based Office Depot claims 1,675 stores worldwide, with annual sales estimated at $11.5 billion and about 39,000 employees, while Illinois-based OfficeMax operates around 900 stores in the U.S. and Mexico, has about $7 billion in annual sales and is responsible for 29,000 employees.
A merger would give the companies options to cut costs but closing some stores and trimming their payroll, WSJ reports.
Representatives from both companies told the WSJ that they do not comment on rumors or speculation.
OfficeMax’s stock was down 14 cents to $10.75 in late afternoon trading. Office Depot shares rose 2 percent to $4.59.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Health Update: Condition Still Serious, Melissa Rivers Says Her Mother Still On Life Support, 'Fashion Police' Filming Cancelled -- Reports
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Plot Details: Weapon X Emerges And More Mutants Join The Team
- Megan Fox’s ‘Transformers 5’ Return Possible – Report
- Ukraine Would Have to Fight Alone – NATO; Port City Near Russia Fears it is Next Target
- Lewis Hamilton Bags GQ Sportsman Of The Year Award, Spotted With GF Nicole Scherzinger
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged