Office Depot, OfficeMax Merger: Office Supplies Retailers Reportedly In Talks To Merge
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 7:01 AM EST
The Wall Street Journal, which cites people familiar with the matter, says the two business supplies superstores are talking about joining forces to fight off long-time competitors Staples, Inc. (NYSE:SPLS) and Amazon.com, Inc. (Nasadaq:AMZN).
While specific details were not disclosed, a merger deal could potentially save the two struggling companies, which in recent years have lost market share to online rivals.
Florida-based Office Depot claims 1,675 stores worldwide, with annual sales estimated at $11.5 billion and about 39,000 employees, while Illinois-based OfficeMax operates around 900 stores in the U.S. and Mexico, has about $7 billion in annual sales and is responsible for 29,000 employees.
A merger would give the companies options to cut costs but closing some stores and trimming their payroll, WSJ reports.
Representatives from both companies told the WSJ that they do not comment on rumors or speculation.
OfficeMax’s stock was down 14 cents to $10.75 in late afternoon trading. Office Depot shares rose 2 percent to $4.59.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date