Office Depot, OfficeMax Merger: Office Supplies Retailers Reportedly In Talks To Merge
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 7:01 AM EST
The Wall Street Journal, which cites people familiar with the matter, says the two business supplies superstores are talking about joining forces to fight off long-time competitors Staples, Inc. (NYSE:SPLS) and Amazon.com, Inc. (Nasadaq:AMZN).
While specific details were not disclosed, a merger deal could potentially save the two struggling companies, which in recent years have lost market share to online rivals.
Florida-based Office Depot claims 1,675 stores worldwide, with annual sales estimated at $11.5 billion and about 39,000 employees, while Illinois-based OfficeMax operates around 900 stores in the U.S. and Mexico, has about $7 billion in annual sales and is responsible for 29,000 employees.
A merger would give the companies options to cut costs but closing some stores and trimming their payroll, WSJ reports.
Representatives from both companies told the WSJ that they do not comment on rumors or speculation.
OfficeMax’s stock was down 14 cents to $10.75 in late afternoon trading. Office Depot shares rose 2 percent to $4.59.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Castle's New Secrets Likely to Impact Caskett's Relationship, Fun Episode, Who Caused Accident of Castle's Car
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Reign Season 2 Spoilers: Francis and Mary on the Throne as France Burns, Premiere Date Revealed
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time