Office Depot, OfficeMax Merger: Office Supplies Retailers Reportedly In Talks To Merge
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 19, 2013 7:01 AM EST
The Wall Street Journal, which cites people familiar with the matter, says the two business supplies superstores are talking about joining forces to fight off long-time competitors Staples, Inc. (NYSE:SPLS) and Amazon.com, Inc. (Nasadaq:AMZN).
While specific details were not disclosed, a merger deal could potentially save the two struggling companies, which in recent years have lost market share to online rivals.
Florida-based Office Depot claims 1,675 stores worldwide, with annual sales estimated at $11.5 billion and about 39,000 employees, while Illinois-based OfficeMax operates around 900 stores in the U.S. and Mexico, has about $7 billion in annual sales and is responsible for 29,000 employees.
A merger would give the companies options to cut costs but closing some stores and trimming their payroll, WSJ reports.
Representatives from both companies told the WSJ that they do not comment on rumors or speculation.
OfficeMax’s stock was down 14 cents to $10.75 in late afternoon trading. Office Depot shares rose 2 percent to $4.59.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Justin Bieber Shares A Sexy Photo From Bathroom After Selena Gomez Was Spotted With Orlando Bloom: Bieber Reportedly Jealous Of Bloom
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- NBA 2014-15 Team Preview: Miami Heat
- Nina Dobrev: 'Vampire Diaries' Actress Joins Bystander Revolution Campaign Against Bullying [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop