NBA Trade Rumors: Andrea Bargnani Headed To The Chicago Bulls, Philadelphia 76ers or Charlotte Bobcats?
February 19, 2013 6:58 AM EST
No NBA player has been mentioned in more trade rumors, of late, than Andrea Bargnani.
The Toronto Raptors have reportedly spoken with numerous teams about the possibility of dealing the former No.1 overall pick. They have until Thursday, Feb. 21 to make a trade.
Bargnani’s career with the Raptors has been a disappointment, thus far. In six and a half years, he’s failed to be deserving of the top selection in the NBA Draft. He was taken ahead of players like LaMarcus Aldridge, Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo, who have had much more productive careers.
Even though Bargnani has underperformed in Toronto, there are teams that could benefit from acquiring him. When healthy, he’s a good three-point shooter and is one of the dwindling numbers of current players that stand at seven-feet tall.
According to Doug Smith of the Toronto Sun, there’s a good chance the Raptors won’t be able to trade the big man until the summer. However, the Raptors would like to unload him this week, if they can.
The most recent team that has been linked to Bargnani is the Philadelphia 76ers. Sam Amico of Fox Sports reported this weekend that Philadelphia has talked to Toronto about the possibility of acquiring Bargnani. A deal would likely involve Spencer Hawes being sent across the border.
Hawes is under contract for one more year after this season, while Bargnani is owed $22 million over the next two. The 76ers center would give the Raptors an inside presence that they are looking for. However, Toronto may be looking to get more in return for a player that was once the No.1 overall pick in the draft.
The Charlotte Bobcats have also shown an interest in Bargnani. The club is looking to move Ben Gordon by the deadline, and was tied to a report involving the Brooklyn Nets last week.
According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, Toronto might be intrigued by the fact that Gordon has just one year left on his deal. Still, with not much of a need at shooting guard, the Raptors are unlikely to pull the trigger on such a deal.
The most likely destination for Bargnani might be the Chicago Bulls. The two teams have discussed a potential trade, and the Chicago Tribune reports that the Bulls have told the Raptors they are ready to send them Carlos Boozer. The proposed deal would send Boozer and Nate Robinson to Toronto for Bargnani and John Lucas III.
Boozer is the best player that has been reportedly offered to the Raptors in exchange for Boozer. The power forward is averaging 15.7 points and 9.3 rebounds per game this season. He’s picked up his game in 2013, averaging a double-double for the entire month of January.
The biggest concern for the Raptors is Boozer’s contract. The 31-year-old is owed over $32 million in the next two seasons.
This season, Bargnani has missed more than half of the Raptors games because of injury. He’s averaging 14.8 points on less than 41 percent shooting from the field.
Toronto is six games out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border