Bayern Star Full of Praise for Arsenal Midfielder
By Adrian Back | February 19, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Bayern Munich star Bastian Schweinsteiger believes that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere can already be described as one of the best central midfielders in world football.
The 21-year-old has been in sensational form for both club and country since returning from a long term injury that saw him spend 17 months on the sidelines.
Wilshere has had a huge impact since returning to full fitness and his performance in England's friendly win over Brazil earlier this month had a number of pundits singing his praises.
He has been in equally good form for Arsenal this season and Schweinsteiger has picked out the midfielder as one that Bayern will have to watch carefully when the two sides meet in a Champions league last-16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday.
"If you look at Jack Wilshere, he's an excellent player," Schweinsteiger told the Arsenal website. "He was out with injury for a long time but now he's back and shows really good quality going forward.
"I don't think one player makes a team. In his position, he's one of the best players there are. He's a very difficult opponent. We will of course try to minimise the effect that he has on the game but don't forget that Arsenal are a very good team and have 10 other very good players.
"I would say that Jack Wilshere has very good movement, he's very dynamic and has a good left foot. He's got a real eye for the way he sees his players around him. I would say those are his main talents."
It is high praise indeed from a midfielder who has been one of the standout players for Bayern and Germany for the last eight years.
He has won five Bundesliga titles with Bayern as well as twice finishing the runner-up in the Champions league in 2010 and again last season when they lost to Chelsea on penalties in the final.
The 28-year-old is just three caps short of making 100 appearances for Germany and has represented his country at two World Cups and two European Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan