Bayern Star Full of Praise for Arsenal Midfielder
By Adrian Back | February 19, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Bayern Munich star Bastian Schweinsteiger believes that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere can already be described as one of the best central midfielders in world football.
The 21-year-old has been in sensational form for both club and country since returning from a long term injury that saw him spend 17 months on the sidelines.
Wilshere has had a huge impact since returning to full fitness and his performance in England's friendly win over Brazil earlier this month had a number of pundits singing his praises.
He has been in equally good form for Arsenal this season and Schweinsteiger has picked out the midfielder as one that Bayern will have to watch carefully when the two sides meet in a Champions league last-16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday.
"If you look at Jack Wilshere, he's an excellent player," Schweinsteiger told the Arsenal website. "He was out with injury for a long time but now he's back and shows really good quality going forward.
"I don't think one player makes a team. In his position, he's one of the best players there are. He's a very difficult opponent. We will of course try to minimise the effect that he has on the game but don't forget that Arsenal are a very good team and have 10 other very good players.
"I would say that Jack Wilshere has very good movement, he's very dynamic and has a good left foot. He's got a real eye for the way he sees his players around him. I would say those are his main talents."
It is high praise indeed from a midfielder who has been one of the standout players for Bayern and Germany for the last eight years.
He has won five Bundesliga titles with Bayern as well as twice finishing the runner-up in the Champions league in 2010 and again last season when they lost to Chelsea on penalties in the final.
The 28-year-old is just three caps short of making 100 appearances for Germany and has represented his country at two World Cups and two European Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2