Bayern Star Full of Praise for Arsenal Midfielder
By Adrian Back | February 19, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Bayern Munich star Bastian Schweinsteiger believes that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere can already be described as one of the best central midfielders in world football.
The 21-year-old has been in sensational form for both club and country since returning from a long term injury that saw him spend 17 months on the sidelines.
Wilshere has had a huge impact since returning to full fitness and his performance in England's friendly win over Brazil earlier this month had a number of pundits singing his praises.
He has been in equally good form for Arsenal this season and Schweinsteiger has picked out the midfielder as one that Bayern will have to watch carefully when the two sides meet in a Champions league last-16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday.
"If you look at Jack Wilshere, he's an excellent player," Schweinsteiger told the Arsenal website. "He was out with injury for a long time but now he's back and shows really good quality going forward.
"I don't think one player makes a team. In his position, he's one of the best players there are. He's a very difficult opponent. We will of course try to minimise the effect that he has on the game but don't forget that Arsenal are a very good team and have 10 other very good players.
"I would say that Jack Wilshere has very good movement, he's very dynamic and has a good left foot. He's got a real eye for the way he sees his players around him. I would say those are his main talents."
It is high praise indeed from a midfielder who has been one of the standout players for Bayern and Germany for the last eight years.
He has won five Bundesliga titles with Bayern as well as twice finishing the runner-up in the Champions league in 2010 and again last season when they lost to Chelsea on penalties in the final.
The 28-year-old is just three caps short of making 100 appearances for Germany and has represented his country at two World Cups and two European Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks