Bayern Star Full of Praise for Arsenal Midfielder
By Adrian Back | February 19, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Bayern Munich star Bastian Schweinsteiger believes that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere can already be described as one of the best central midfielders in world football.
The 21-year-old has been in sensational form for both club and country since returning from a long term injury that saw him spend 17 months on the sidelines.
Wilshere has had a huge impact since returning to full fitness and his performance in England's friendly win over Brazil earlier this month had a number of pundits singing his praises.
He has been in equally good form for Arsenal this season and Schweinsteiger has picked out the midfielder as one that Bayern will have to watch carefully when the two sides meet in a Champions league last-16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday.
"If you look at Jack Wilshere, he's an excellent player," Schweinsteiger told the Arsenal website. "He was out with injury for a long time but now he's back and shows really good quality going forward.
"I don't think one player makes a team. In his position, he's one of the best players there are. He's a very difficult opponent. We will of course try to minimise the effect that he has on the game but don't forget that Arsenal are a very good team and have 10 other very good players.
"I would say that Jack Wilshere has very good movement, he's very dynamic and has a good left foot. He's got a real eye for the way he sees his players around him. I would say those are his main talents."
It is high praise indeed from a midfielder who has been one of the standout players for Bayern and Germany for the last eight years.
He has won five Bundesliga titles with Bayern as well as twice finishing the runner-up in the Champions league in 2010 and again last season when they lost to Chelsea on penalties in the final.
The 28-year-old is just three caps short of making 100 appearances for Germany and has represented his country at two World Cups and two European Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools