Bayern Star Full of Praise for Arsenal Midfielder
By Adrian Back | February 19, 2013 5:40 AM EST
Bayern Munich star Bastian Schweinsteiger believes that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere can already be described as one of the best central midfielders in world football.
The 21-year-old has been in sensational form for both club and country since returning from a long term injury that saw him spend 17 months on the sidelines.
Wilshere has had a huge impact since returning to full fitness and his performance in England's friendly win over Brazil earlier this month had a number of pundits singing his praises.
He has been in equally good form for Arsenal this season and Schweinsteiger has picked out the midfielder as one that Bayern will have to watch carefully when the two sides meet in a Champions league last-16 tie at the Emirates on Tuesday.
"If you look at Jack Wilshere, he's an excellent player," Schweinsteiger told the Arsenal website. "He was out with injury for a long time but now he's back and shows really good quality going forward.
"I don't think one player makes a team. In his position, he's one of the best players there are. He's a very difficult opponent. We will of course try to minimise the effect that he has on the game but don't forget that Arsenal are a very good team and have 10 other very good players.
"I would say that Jack Wilshere has very good movement, he's very dynamic and has a good left foot. He's got a real eye for the way he sees his players around him. I would say those are his main talents."
It is high praise indeed from a midfielder who has been one of the standout players for Bayern and Germany for the last eight years.
He has won five Bundesliga titles with Bayern as well as twice finishing the runner-up in the Champions league in 2010 and again last season when they lost to Chelsea on penalties in the final.
The 28-year-old is just three caps short of making 100 appearances for Germany and has represented his country at two World Cups and two European Championships.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown