Ferguson: Playmaker Needs Time To Adapt From Bundesliga
By Vanessa Keller | February 19, 2013 2:34 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes midfielder Shinji Kagawa's improvement will continue despite the Japanese international having struggled to find his feet since his summer move to Old Trafford.
Kagawa joined United from Borussia Dortmund having flourished in helping to deliver successive Bundesliga titles, but has found adapting to English football a tough ask with a mid-season knee-injury disrupting his season.
But Ferguson is willing to give Kagawa time, claiming the contrast in pace of the top flight compared with Germany is exposing the 23 year old's lack of physical presence.
"He's come from an environment that is completely different," he told the United website. "I think the difference between German football and English football has been shown. In Germany you can't foul. It's foul after foul.
"The Premier League is completely different as there's physical contact in our game and it's different to Germany but, next year, he'll be better."
After a disappointing performance against Real Madrid in the Champions League, Ferguson has leapt to the midfielder's defence after his first half impact.
"In the first half an hour [in midweek] he was terrific as he kept making these great runs through them, which we thought was going to be one of our biggest assets in the game," Ferguson explained.
"He was just unlucky that he had a couple of heavy touches on the ball when he made runs past Robin van Persie. He kept opening them up but people don't see that, which is a wee bit unfair, as he did really well for us in the first half."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies