Ferguson: Playmaker Needs Time To Adapt From Bundesliga
By Vanessa Keller | February 19, 2013 2:34 AM EST
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes midfielder Shinji Kagawa's improvement will continue despite the Japanese international having struggled to find his feet since his summer move to Old Trafford.
Kagawa joined United from Borussia Dortmund having flourished in helping to deliver successive Bundesliga titles, but has found adapting to English football a tough ask with a mid-season knee-injury disrupting his season.
But Ferguson is willing to give Kagawa time, claiming the contrast in pace of the top flight compared with Germany is exposing the 23 year old's lack of physical presence.
"He's come from an environment that is completely different," he told the United website. "I think the difference between German football and English football has been shown. In Germany you can't foul. It's foul after foul.
"The Premier League is completely different as there's physical contact in our game and it's different to Germany but, next year, he'll be better."
After a disappointing performance against Real Madrid in the Champions League, Ferguson has leapt to the midfielder's defence after his first half impact.
"In the first half an hour [in midweek] he was terrific as he kept making these great runs through them, which we thought was going to be one of our biggest assets in the game," Ferguson explained.
"He was just unlucky that he had a couple of heavy touches on the ball when he made runs past Robin van Persie. He kept opening them up but people don't see that, which is a wee bit unfair, as he did really well for us in the first half."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6