UAE grants Bahrain $2.5 billion for development - news agency
February 19, 2013 1:28 AM EST
The United Arab Emirates will grant Bahrain $2.5 billion to help fund development projects in the Gulf Arab country, state-owned Bahrain News Agency (BNA) reported on Monday.
The money, to be disbursed on an annual basis over the next 10 years, would finance projects in housing, electricity, water, infrastructure and social services, the BNA said.
In March 2011, after a pro-democracy uprising in Bahrain and protests demanding jobs and clean government in Oman, wealthier Gulf Arab neighbours pledged $10 billion each to those countries over 10 years to ease tensions and support economic development of the two small non-OPEC oil exporters.
Bahrain, which depends on crude from a field it shares with Saudi Arabia for some 70 percent of its budget revenue, said last June that it had not received any of the pledged money so far, and it was unclear when the funds would start to flow.
Analysts have said Saudi Arabia, which supports Bahrain's Sunni rulers politically, could give the state more oil from the shared Abu Safa field if Manama's budget runs into trouble.
($1 = 0.3770 Bahraini dinars)
(Reporting by William Maclean, Amena Bakr and Martin Dokoupil; Editing by John Stonestreet)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display