Liverpool’s European Hopes Dashed After Striker Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 11:34 PM EST
Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is expected to be unavailable for the rest of the season. The 21-year-old ex-AS Roma forward was injured in the Reds' 5-0 Premier League win over Swansea City on Sunday.
Borini is a summer signing at Anfield and this will be his second major injury in less than a year's time. He was ruled out with a broken leg earlier this season, after an injury while representing his country.
"I think he'll be out for the season. It's unfortunate for Fabio because he has done his other shoulder before and had a similar thing so it looks like the early stages of that again, but the other shoulder which is a big disappointment. He came on for 15 minutes and looked quite bright in his movement and he worked very hard to try and stop the forward pass and obviously got injured," Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers explained.
Borini has only scored once in 15 appearances for Liverpool this season; against FC Gomel in the UEFA Europa League. He was linked with a swift return to his homeland earlier in February but his agent, Marco De Marchi, has rubbished rumours linking his client and Serie A side Fiorentina.
The more immediate concern for Rodgers and Liverpool is that the injury leaves only Uruguayan international Luis Suarez and January signing Daniel Sturridge as senior strikers. A second summer signing, youngster Samid Yesil, has also been ruled out. Rodgers may now call reserve striker Adam Morgan to the first team.
In any case, whatever Rodgers does now, the injury to Borini is a blow to the Reds' chances of finishing in the top four this season. Liverpool are presently seventh in the Premier League and they trail Tottenham (in fourth and in the final Champions League qualifying position) by nine points. Fifth place, which will offer Europa League football next term, is occupied by Arsenal, who are five points clear.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People