Liverpool’s European Hopes Dashed After Striker Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 11:34 PM EST
Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is expected to be unavailable for the rest of the season. The 21-year-old ex-AS Roma forward was injured in the Reds' 5-0 Premier League win over Swansea City on Sunday.
Borini is a summer signing at Anfield and this will be his second major injury in less than a year's time. He was ruled out with a broken leg earlier this season, after an injury while representing his country.
"I think he'll be out for the season. It's unfortunate for Fabio because he has done his other shoulder before and had a similar thing so it looks like the early stages of that again, but the other shoulder which is a big disappointment. He came on for 15 minutes and looked quite bright in his movement and he worked very hard to try and stop the forward pass and obviously got injured," Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers explained.
Borini has only scored once in 15 appearances for Liverpool this season; against FC Gomel in the UEFA Europa League. He was linked with a swift return to his homeland earlier in February but his agent, Marco De Marchi, has rubbished rumours linking his client and Serie A side Fiorentina.
The more immediate concern for Rodgers and Liverpool is that the injury leaves only Uruguayan international Luis Suarez and January signing Daniel Sturridge as senior strikers. A second summer signing, youngster Samid Yesil, has also been ruled out. Rodgers may now call reserve striker Adam Morgan to the first team.
In any case, whatever Rodgers does now, the injury to Borini is a blow to the Reds' chances of finishing in the top four this season. Liverpool are presently seventh in the Premier League and they trail Tottenham (in fourth and in the final Champions League qualifying position) by nine points. Fifth place, which will offer Europa League football next term, is occupied by Arsenal, who are five points clear.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate