Liverpool’s European Hopes Dashed After Striker Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 11:34 PM EST
Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is expected to be unavailable for the rest of the season. The 21-year-old ex-AS Roma forward was injured in the Reds' 5-0 Premier League win over Swansea City on Sunday.
Borini is a summer signing at Anfield and this will be his second major injury in less than a year's time. He was ruled out with a broken leg earlier this season, after an injury while representing his country.
"I think he'll be out for the season. It's unfortunate for Fabio because he has done his other shoulder before and had a similar thing so it looks like the early stages of that again, but the other shoulder which is a big disappointment. He came on for 15 minutes and looked quite bright in his movement and he worked very hard to try and stop the forward pass and obviously got injured," Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers explained.
Borini has only scored once in 15 appearances for Liverpool this season; against FC Gomel in the UEFA Europa League. He was linked with a swift return to his homeland earlier in February but his agent, Marco De Marchi, has rubbished rumours linking his client and Serie A side Fiorentina.
The more immediate concern for Rodgers and Liverpool is that the injury leaves only Uruguayan international Luis Suarez and January signing Daniel Sturridge as senior strikers. A second summer signing, youngster Samid Yesil, has also been ruled out. Rodgers may now call reserve striker Adam Morgan to the first team.
In any case, whatever Rodgers does now, the injury to Borini is a blow to the Reds' chances of finishing in the top four this season. Liverpool are presently seventh in the Premier League and they trail Tottenham (in fourth and in the final Champions League qualifying position) by nine points. Fifth place, which will offer Europa League football next term, is occupied by Arsenal, who are five points clear.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans