Liverpool’s European Hopes Dashed After Striker Injury
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 11:34 PM EST
Liverpool striker Fabio Borini is expected to be unavailable for the rest of the season. The 21-year-old ex-AS Roma forward was injured in the Reds' 5-0 Premier League win over Swansea City on Sunday.
Borini is a summer signing at Anfield and this will be his second major injury in less than a year's time. He was ruled out with a broken leg earlier this season, after an injury while representing his country.
"I think he'll be out for the season. It's unfortunate for Fabio because he has done his other shoulder before and had a similar thing so it looks like the early stages of that again, but the other shoulder which is a big disappointment. He came on for 15 minutes and looked quite bright in his movement and he worked very hard to try and stop the forward pass and obviously got injured," Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers explained.
Borini has only scored once in 15 appearances for Liverpool this season; against FC Gomel in the UEFA Europa League. He was linked with a swift return to his homeland earlier in February but his agent, Marco De Marchi, has rubbished rumours linking his client and Serie A side Fiorentina.
The more immediate concern for Rodgers and Liverpool is that the injury leaves only Uruguayan international Luis Suarez and January signing Daniel Sturridge as senior strikers. A second summer signing, youngster Samid Yesil, has also been ruled out. Rodgers may now call reserve striker Adam Morgan to the first team.
In any case, whatever Rodgers does now, the injury to Borini is a blow to the Reds' chances of finishing in the top four this season. Liverpool are presently seventh in the Premier League and they trail Tottenham (in fourth and in the final Champions League qualifying position) by nine points. Fifth place, which will offer Europa League football next term, is occupied by Arsenal, who are five points clear.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Arsenal FC: Zlatan Or Ronaldo? Wenger Reveals His Biggest 'Missed Signing' Regret
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional