Property Tycoon Kevin McGeever Missing Again: Irish Millionaire's Whereabouts Unknown after Hospital Discharge
By Hannah Osborne | February 18, 2013 11:29 PM EST
The Irish property tycoon who was held captive for eight months has gone missing again, with family members unaware of his whereabouts.
Kevin McGeever, 68, left hospital in Mullingar where he was being treated for dehydration and malnutrition last Monday (11 February).
However, he left the Midlands Regional Hospital without providing police investigating his abduction a forwarding address, reports the Irish Independent.
McGeever's brother, Brendan, was contacted by the newspaper to arrange an interview with the property tycoon. However, he told them: "I can't help you there. I don't know where he is."
According to the Irish Sun, the phone number he gave gardai does not work and a red alert has been issued on McGeever's passport.
A source told the Sun: "McGeever isn't answering the mobile number he gave gardai. No one knows where he is. He has vanished again."
As well as going missing again, it has also emerged that McGeever did not own the Galway mansion he lived in before his abduction.
The £3 million property, which was known as Nirvana, belongs to a company called Uni-versal Assets Limited, Land Registry papers show.
However, the only firm in Ireland with that name was shut down 14 years ago. A British firm called Universal Assets told the paper it does not own McGeever's mansion and has never had any dealings with the businessman.
Wanted for fraud
McGeever's name was not on any of the property paperwork, with only a solicitors firm listed as a contact.
There is a great deal of mystery surrounding the property developer's disappearance, as McGeever was wanted by Interpol and the FBI before he went missing.
Before is disappearance, McGeever had been developing property in Dubai and there are allegations he fraudulently sold properties at addressed that did not exist, or sold the same apartment to several different buyers.
McGeever was found wandering down a country road near Ballinamore at the end of January. He was confused, emaciated and was not wearing any shoes.
He told police he had been thrown from a van by armed men and that he had been held captive in a shipping container for the last eight months.
McGeever said he was fed one ham sandwich per day, was beaten regularly and was told he would be killed many times. According to reports, his captors carved the word thief into his forehead.
He was not reported missing to police as he regularly went away on business. He also appeared to have sent text messages to his partner Siobhan O'Callaghan in the days after he was kidnapped reassuring her he was fine.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Pope Francis, Catholic Church Key To Climate Change Effort
- Passengers Shouted 'Shame' On Pak Politician For Delaying Flight And Barred Him From Boarding
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border