Wenger Draws Up Goalkeeper Hitlist After Latest Szczesny Error - Report
By Adrian Back | February 18, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have finally run out of patience with struggling goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and has made it his number one priority to bring in a more experienced stopper at the end of the season.
The Pole is still just 22-years-old and has plenty of time to further develop his game, but it seems that Wenger wants a more established number one to arrive and has already drawn up a list of possible targets.
The Daily Mail has reported that Arsenal have already sent scouts to watch a number of Premier League goalkeepers this season, including Liverpool's Pepe Reina, Swansea stopper Michel Vorm, Asmir Begovic of Stoke and Sunderland's Simon Mignolet.
Szczesny's error against Blackburn, which led to Colin Kazim-Richards knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup, meant that the Gunners only chance of silverware this season comes in the Champions League where they face a difficult task in overcoming Bayern Munich.
The north London side are rated as underdogs by the bookmakers as Bayern are currently top of the Bundesliga and have looked impressive in the Champions League.
While another season without a trophy would put pressure on Wenger, it seems he is ready to make some major changes to his squad, starting with bringing another keeper to the club.
Szczesny may have kept six clean sheets in the Premier League this season but too often his mistakes have cost Arsenal points and it seems that Wenger would like a more senior keeper at the club from next season.
There are even reports that Arsenal may attempt to secure the services of Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes who has declared that he will not renew his contract which runs out in the summer of 2014.
The Spain international consistently competes with Real Madrid's Iker Casillas for the Ricardo Zamora trophy, the award going to the keeper with the lowest goals-game ratio, and has been Barca's number one for more than 10 years.
With reports today suggesting that Wenger will have around £70million to spend in the summer, Arsenal will have plenty of power in the transfer market and should be able to land a proven goalkeeper that can lift some of the pressure from Szczesny.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge