Wenger Draws Up Goalkeeper Hitlist After Latest Szczesny Error - Report
By Adrian Back | February 18, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have finally run out of patience with struggling goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and has made it his number one priority to bring in a more experienced stopper at the end of the season.
The Pole is still just 22-years-old and has plenty of time to further develop his game, but it seems that Wenger wants a more established number one to arrive and has already drawn up a list of possible targets.
The Daily Mail has reported that Arsenal have already sent scouts to watch a number of Premier League goalkeepers this season, including Liverpool's Pepe Reina, Swansea stopper Michel Vorm, Asmir Begovic of Stoke and Sunderland's Simon Mignolet.
Szczesny's error against Blackburn, which led to Colin Kazim-Richards knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup, meant that the Gunners only chance of silverware this season comes in the Champions League where they face a difficult task in overcoming Bayern Munich.
The north London side are rated as underdogs by the bookmakers as Bayern are currently top of the Bundesliga and have looked impressive in the Champions League.
While another season without a trophy would put pressure on Wenger, it seems he is ready to make some major changes to his squad, starting with bringing another keeper to the club.
Szczesny may have kept six clean sheets in the Premier League this season but too often his mistakes have cost Arsenal points and it seems that Wenger would like a more senior keeper at the club from next season.
There are even reports that Arsenal may attempt to secure the services of Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes who has declared that he will not renew his contract which runs out in the summer of 2014.
The Spain international consistently competes with Real Madrid's Iker Casillas for the Ricardo Zamora trophy, the award going to the keeper with the lowest goals-game ratio, and has been Barca's number one for more than 10 years.
With reports today suggesting that Wenger will have around £70million to spend in the summer, Arsenal will have plenty of power in the transfer market and should be able to land a proven goalkeeper that can lift some of the pressure from Szczesny.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6