Wenger Draws Up Goalkeeper Hitlist After Latest Szczesny Error - Report
By Adrian Back | February 18, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have finally run out of patience with struggling goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and has made it his number one priority to bring in a more experienced stopper at the end of the season.
The Pole is still just 22-years-old and has plenty of time to further develop his game, but it seems that Wenger wants a more established number one to arrive and has already drawn up a list of possible targets.
The Daily Mail has reported that Arsenal have already sent scouts to watch a number of Premier League goalkeepers this season, including Liverpool's Pepe Reina, Swansea stopper Michel Vorm, Asmir Begovic of Stoke and Sunderland's Simon Mignolet.
Szczesny's error against Blackburn, which led to Colin Kazim-Richards knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup, meant that the Gunners only chance of silverware this season comes in the Champions League where they face a difficult task in overcoming Bayern Munich.
The north London side are rated as underdogs by the bookmakers as Bayern are currently top of the Bundesliga and have looked impressive in the Champions League.
While another season without a trophy would put pressure on Wenger, it seems he is ready to make some major changes to his squad, starting with bringing another keeper to the club.
Szczesny may have kept six clean sheets in the Premier League this season but too often his mistakes have cost Arsenal points and it seems that Wenger would like a more senior keeper at the club from next season.
There are even reports that Arsenal may attempt to secure the services of Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes who has declared that he will not renew his contract which runs out in the summer of 2014.
The Spain international consistently competes with Real Madrid's Iker Casillas for the Ricardo Zamora trophy, the award going to the keeper with the lowest goals-game ratio, and has been Barca's number one for more than 10 years.
With reports today suggesting that Wenger will have around £70million to spend in the summer, Arsenal will have plenty of power in the transfer market and should be able to land a proven goalkeeper that can lift some of the pressure from Szczesny.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers