Wenger Draws Up Goalkeeper Hitlist After Latest Szczesny Error - Report
By Adrian Back | February 18, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have finally run out of patience with struggling goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and has made it his number one priority to bring in a more experienced stopper at the end of the season.
The Pole is still just 22-years-old and has plenty of time to further develop his game, but it seems that Wenger wants a more established number one to arrive and has already drawn up a list of possible targets.
The Daily Mail has reported that Arsenal have already sent scouts to watch a number of Premier League goalkeepers this season, including Liverpool's Pepe Reina, Swansea stopper Michel Vorm, Asmir Begovic of Stoke and Sunderland's Simon Mignolet.
Szczesny's error against Blackburn, which led to Colin Kazim-Richards knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup, meant that the Gunners only chance of silverware this season comes in the Champions League where they face a difficult task in overcoming Bayern Munich.
The north London side are rated as underdogs by the bookmakers as Bayern are currently top of the Bundesliga and have looked impressive in the Champions League.
While another season without a trophy would put pressure on Wenger, it seems he is ready to make some major changes to his squad, starting with bringing another keeper to the club.
Szczesny may have kept six clean sheets in the Premier League this season but too often his mistakes have cost Arsenal points and it seems that Wenger would like a more senior keeper at the club from next season.
There are even reports that Arsenal may attempt to secure the services of Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes who has declared that he will not renew his contract which runs out in the summer of 2014.
The Spain international consistently competes with Real Madrid's Iker Casillas for the Ricardo Zamora trophy, the award going to the keeper with the lowest goals-game ratio, and has been Barca's number one for more than 10 years.
With reports today suggesting that Wenger will have around £70million to spend in the summer, Arsenal will have plenty of power in the transfer market and should be able to land a proven goalkeeper that can lift some of the pressure from Szczesny.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage