Wenger Draws Up Goalkeeper Hitlist After Latest Szczesny Error - Report
By Adrian Back | February 18, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is believed to have finally run out of patience with struggling goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and has made it his number one priority to bring in a more experienced stopper at the end of the season.
The Pole is still just 22-years-old and has plenty of time to further develop his game, but it seems that Wenger wants a more established number one to arrive and has already drawn up a list of possible targets.
The Daily Mail has reported that Arsenal have already sent scouts to watch a number of Premier League goalkeepers this season, including Liverpool's Pepe Reina, Swansea stopper Michel Vorm, Asmir Begovic of Stoke and Sunderland's Simon Mignolet.
Szczesny's error against Blackburn, which led to Colin Kazim-Richards knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup, meant that the Gunners only chance of silverware this season comes in the Champions League where they face a difficult task in overcoming Bayern Munich.
The north London side are rated as underdogs by the bookmakers as Bayern are currently top of the Bundesliga and have looked impressive in the Champions League.
While another season without a trophy would put pressure on Wenger, it seems he is ready to make some major changes to his squad, starting with bringing another keeper to the club.
Szczesny may have kept six clean sheets in the Premier League this season but too often his mistakes have cost Arsenal points and it seems that Wenger would like a more senior keeper at the club from next season.
There are even reports that Arsenal may attempt to secure the services of Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes who has declared that he will not renew his contract which runs out in the summer of 2014.
The Spain international consistently competes with Real Madrid's Iker Casillas for the Ricardo Zamora trophy, the award going to the keeper with the lowest goals-game ratio, and has been Barca's number one for more than 10 years.
With reports today suggesting that Wenger will have around £70million to spend in the summer, Arsenal will have plenty of power in the transfer market and should be able to land a proven goalkeeper that can lift some of the pressure from Szczesny.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports