Supreme Court Stays Execution of Four Veerappan Aides Till Further Orders
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 10:11 PM EST
The Supreme Court on Monday stayed the execution of death penalty to four Veerappan aides till further orders.
The bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Altamas Kabir will now hear the writ petition on Wednesday.
"In the meantime, the execution of death sentence of four convicts shall remain stayed," bench including CJI, justices A.R. Dave and Vikramajit Sen told PTI.
"Let the writ petition be heard day after tomorrow," the bench added.
The four aides of late forest brigand were awarded capital punishment for their involvement in the the 1993 Palar landmine blast in which 22 policemen were killed.
The petition on behalf of the four convicts was filed by advocate Samik Narain. The court had given Narain the liberty to amend and rectify the petition after Attorney General G E Vahanvati raised objections on its maintainability.
The Supreme Court also added that though the petition was not maintainable, the case of the four convicts was similar to the case of other death row convicts pending consideration of the apex court.
The four aides of Veerapan - Simon, Meesekar Madaiah, Bilavendran and Gnanprakasham - who are presently lodged in Belgaum Jail had filed a petition on Saturday seeking stay on their death sentence following rumours that all four will be hanged on Sunday.
Senior advocate Colin Gonsalves along with his associate Samik Narain had approached Kabir on Saturday with a petition seeking urgent hearing on their plea. The CJI did not hear the matter on Saturday and said that there was no proof that the execution will take place on Sunday. He also assured that the matter will be taken up for hearing in due course. The mercy plea which was submitted in 2004 by four convicts was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee on Feb 13.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon