Bulgaria sacks finance minister after protests
February 18, 2013 9:28 PM EST
Bulgaria's rightist government on Monday sacked Finance Minister Simeon Djankov, who has kept a tight fiscal policy as the European Union's poorest member recovers from recession, a day after nationwide protests over electricity prices.
Djankov's dismissal comes as the government tries to shore up its support with an election looming in July.
Djankov, 42, brought the budget deficit down to 0.5 percent of gross domestic product last year from 2 percent in 2011, gaining him respect in the EU as many nations in the bloc battled to keep their public debt under control.
The country's current EU funds minister, Tomislav Donchev, will double up as finance minister.
"Prime Minister Boiko Borisov will propose to deputies to vote on changes in the Bulgarian government. The proposal envisions releasing Simeon Djankov as deputy prime minister and minister of finance," the government said in a statement.
Tight fiscal policy helped Bulgaria maintain its currency peg to the euro, even as its economy shrank more than 5 percent in 2009 and has recovered only slowly since.
Djankov was an economist at the World Bank from 1995 until he became finance minister in 2009.
(Reporting by Tsvetelia Tsolova; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone