Bulgaria sacks finance minister after protests
February 18, 2013 9:28 PM EST
Bulgaria's rightist government on Monday sacked Finance Minister Simeon Djankov, who has kept a tight fiscal policy as the European Union's poorest member recovers from recession, a day after nationwide protests over electricity prices.
Djankov's dismissal comes as the government tries to shore up its support with an election looming in July.
Djankov, 42, brought the budget deficit down to 0.5 percent of gross domestic product last year from 2 percent in 2011, gaining him respect in the EU as many nations in the bloc battled to keep their public debt under control.
The country's current EU funds minister, Tomislav Donchev, will double up as finance minister.
"Prime Minister Boiko Borisov will propose to deputies to vote on changes in the Bulgarian government. The proposal envisions releasing Simeon Djankov as deputy prime minister and minister of finance," the government said in a statement.
Tight fiscal policy helped Bulgaria maintain its currency peg to the euro, even as its economy shrank more than 5 percent in 2009 and has recovered only slowly since.
Djankov was an economist at the World Bank from 1995 until he became finance minister in 2009.
(Reporting by Tsvetelia Tsolova; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools