Arsenal Target Barcelona Contract Rebel - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 9:17 PM EST
Arsenal are considering a move for Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes, according to The Sun. The Spanish international is out of contract with the Spanish giants next season and has already confirmed he will leave the Nou Camp, either on a free in 2014 or in the coming summer. Barcelona have resigned themselves to losing their No 1 and will want £10m to allow him to leave at the end of this campaign.
The only problem here is that Valdes commands £120,000 per week at Barcelona and that could be a problem for Arsene Wenger. It really ought not to be though, considering Emirates' chiefs are planning to offer their manager up to £70m in transfer funds in the summer; a two-year extension to Wenger's contract is also reportedly in the pipeline.
Wenger has Polish internationals Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski, as well as Italian Vito Mannone as his options. However, both Fabianski and Mannone have failed to establish themselves in the first team and Szczesny needs top-class competition to ensure he stays in top form. The Gunners were strongly linked with Liverpool No 1 Pepe Reina earlier this season. However, the 30-year-old Madrid born shot stopper has since re-affirmed his position at Anfield and appears unlikely to leave. 19-year-old Jack Butland was also an option but he has signed for Stoke City.
Arsenal are fifth in the Premier League this season, 21 points behind leaders Manchester United. And unless there is a miraculous reversal of fortunes for a number of clubs, Wenger cannot win the league this year. Sunday's defeat to Blackburn means the north London side have now been eliminated from both the FA Cup and the Capital One Cup. This leaves the Champions League but given past form and immediate history, it is difficult to see how Arsenal could upset Germans Bayern Munich over two legs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery