Sony’s Next PlayStation To Stream Games
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 18, 2013 7:00 PM EST
Sony Crop is planning to create their next gaming console in a completely different way. The next gaming console - PlayStation (codenamed Orbis) - will use a technology to stream games.
Last year, Sony acquired a cloud gaming service, Gaikai, for $380 million. Gaikai allows playing streamed AAA games in variety of internet-enable devices. Although there are many companies that offer simple games over the Internet, Gaikai offers online access to games with high visual intensity. It also launched demos of recent games such as Dead Space 2, The Sims 3, Spore and Mass Effect 2.
The new streaming technology is one of the new features that are expected to be offered with the next PlayStation, which Sony plans to unveil at simultaneous events in London and New York February 20.
The WSJ report does not mention the subscription fees for streaming games.
Microsoft Crop, which is a long-time competitor for Sony, is also expected to unveil its next generation gaming console this year.
Meanwhile, industry experts say that cloud gaming will become an important segment of the gaming market. It also ensures low costs for gamers and allows them to play high visual intense games on their mobile device.
"Cloud gaming makes games much more convenient," said Jen-Hsun Huang, chief executive of Nvidia Corp. "It's instant-on and you can play it about anywhere on any device; it will make for a much larger gaming industry."
Nvidia is a chip maker company that had worked with Gaikai before the acquisition and has developed streaming technology to enable services.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced