China First Nuclear Power Plant Fires Up in Liaoning
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 18, 2013 5:01 PM EST
China has fired up its first nuclear power plant after the destructive 2011 Fukushima nuclear crisis, near Wafangdian in Liaoning province at its northeast portion.
The $8.02 billion Hongyanhe nuclear power station started operations on Sunday following Beijing's approval in October 2012 of a nuclear power safety and a development schedule. The approval lifted a self-imposed two-year ban on existing and new nuclear projects following the crisis set off by the earthquake that crippled the Japan Fukushima Daiichi plant in 2011.
The Hongyanhe nuclear power station is composed of four power generation units. It began construction in 2007 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2015.
Once fully completed, the four units will generate 30 billion kilowatt-hours (kwh) of electricity per year, which will be 16 per cent of the total electricity consumption in Liaoning Province, Yang Xiaofeng, the general manager of Liaoning Hongyanhe Nuclear Power Co Ltd, told state-run Xinhua news agency.
Following the operation of the new plant, China now has 16 working reactors with total generating capacity of more than 12 gigawatts of. The country targets to boost its nuclear capacity to 58 gigawatts by 2020.
According to a government white paper on energy policy released in October 2012, China still has another 26 nuclear reactors being constructed to add another 29.24 GW.
The plant is located near the town of Wafangdian, 68 miles from the port of Dalian.
Mr Yang said more than 80 per cent of the parts and components of the plant were sourced locally. He added it is likewise the first Chinese nuclear power plant to be utilising seawater desalination technology to provide cooling water.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones